+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ker pow!!!

I'm Dennis.

According to Newell and Holland, distortion in the throat of compression drivers can be quite high due to the non linearity of the air under compression.

Plasma drivers produce ozone.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Care to comment on that, Andrew?
    Hello, are you still with us?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    My original comment was only intended as an observation that despite SS amps having (generally) a much wider bandwidth than valve amps they don't necessarily sound like they have more transient attack. Maybe some valve amps go up to 100kHz but I think my observation that most SS amps have a wider bandwidth than most valve amps is true.
    Sure, I'll buy that. However, in terms of the last bit, it goes back to my earlier point that you cannot judge how good *anything* is unless holding up the best versions of it as the example

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Andrew,
    Thats fair enough, the last bit of my rantings implies that if a speaker impedance rises considerably across the audio frequency range, then by default because of the way each topolgy deals with those impedance/load changes, valve amps have the edge in supplying the correct power levels needed to maintain a [relatively] flat frequency response accross the varying impedance of the speaker, with frequency.
    There is no doubt that solid state designs can and do in many cases have a very wide' full power bandwidth, when connected to a fixed impedance/load, but as we know, a fixed load is not what we are dealing with where a conventional cone loudspeaker is concerned!
    A...
    My original comment was only intended as an observation that despite SS amps having (generally) a much wider bandwidth than valve amps they don't necessarily sound like they have more transient attack. Maybe some valve amps go up to 100kHz but I think my observation that most SS amps have a wider bandwidth than most valve amps is true.
    Anyway, even if Anthony disagrees with the quote he clearly doesn't disagree with the sentiment expressed in my post - that valve amps don't sound like they lack transient attack, even if the specs might suggest otherwise.
    My post was actually a comment on Marco's idea that valve amps have a greater slew rate than SS amps because they have higher voltage power rails.

This bit I don't understand at all:

Wins the high frequency debate by default? I don't follow the argument
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    There is no doubt that solid state designs can and do in many cases have a very wide' full power bandwidth, when connected to a fixed impedance/load, but as we know, a fixed load is not what we are dealing with where a conventional cone loudspeaker is concerned!
    Indeed, and I think that's the key point here, and what should be considered

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    With Maggies, you probably need a goodly dose of both!

Marco.
    At least 100W into 4 Ohms, but more importantly, high instantaneous current delivery, over 25A a channel should do it. Problem is you don’t get these measurements enough.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I was trying to put it in a simpler way that most would get, but re-reading through that post, I can see that it could cause confusion amongst some here, so I will stand corrected if its required, hopefuly we will agree with this version, with a valve amp you have a measurable impedance at the speaker output, [unlike solid state, which is almost imeasurable with standard test equipment] A conventional push-pull valve amp, with very minimal feedback, will try to maintane a constant current at its output, hence when the impedance of a speaker rises [this will happen at higher' and lower frequencies, especialy when the frequencies aproach the natural resonance of the speaker drive unit] so will the voltage from the output transformer rise, in an attemp to maintane the same constant current to the load,ie; the loudspeaker! hopefuly that will make things a bit more clearer.
    Do loudspeakers require constant power across the bandwidth to maintain a flat frequency response? Or do they require constant voltage? I think you'll find that all reputable loudspeaker measurements are made with constant voltage drive, not constant power drive.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I should also take this opertunety [while its fresh in my mind] to stress why when it comes to wide power bandwidth [where valve amps are concerned] a good quality output transformer, with a decent amount of iron is necessary!
    Nikola Tesla

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    I should also take this opertunety [while its fresh in my mind] to stress why when it comes to wide power bandwidth [where valve amps are concerned] a good quality output transformer, with a decent amount of iron is necessary!
    And that's the bit that costs the real money. You can see the bind that 'affordable.' valve-amp manufacturers are in. The 30 watt valve amp with proper traffos and a price tag of several thousand vs the 30 watt competition with cheap traffos and a price tag of a few hundred. And the audible difference is quite shocking but most punters don't know what a transformer is and even fewer know how much it matters. That makes marketing the good amp very difficult unless you are a well-known brand already.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Exactly!
    The speaker impedance at resonance can often be double, even tripple that of the nominal 4, 8, 16 ohms, So' if the output transformer doesent have enough inductance at these frequencies, it can saturate at realistic power levels.This is why output transformer design is often refered to as a dying Art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And that's the bit that costs the real money. You can see the bind that 'affordable.' valve-amp manufacturers are in. The 30 watt valve amp with proper traffos and a price tag of several thousand vs the 30 watt competition with cheap traffos and a price tag of a few hundred. And the audible difference is quite shocking but most punters don't know what a transformer is and even fewer know how much it matters. That makes marketing the good amp very difficult unless you are a well-known brand already.
    Nikola Tesla

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast