+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some advice needed.

I'm Graham.

Apologies for not updating this thread,but it's been a busy few weeks what with one thing or another.
    I have many watches going on,on both the auction site Discdogs etc to get some idea of values.
    When things settle down I will start a list.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Mark.

Plenty of good advice above, my thoughts below. Bear in mind I am not what you would call a 'dealer' but I do buy occasionally on eBay and Discogs.
    Re. pricing - my feeling is you have to use the grades NM, VG etc. to the best of your honest ability, look on Discogs for similarly graded examples and decide if you want to hang out for top dollar or flog it reasonably quickly (or quickly).
    Don't oversell as low ratings put people off. If you can't find a similar item then, like any any other merchandise, you are pretty much on your own. I imagine it's a bit of work to get a decent catalog set up and running!

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    Plenty of good advice above, my thoughts below. Bear in mind I am not what you would call a 'dealer' but I do buy occasionally on eBay and Discogs.
    Re. pricing - my feeling is you have to use the grades NM, VG etc. to the best of your honest ability, look on Discogs for similarly graded examples and decide if you want to hang out for top dollar or flog it reasonably quickly (or quickly).
    Don't oversell as low ratings put people off. If you can't find a similar item then, like any any other merchandise, you are pretty much on your own. I imagine it's a bit of work to get a decent catalog set up and running!
    Have been learning a lot over the last few weeks and just end up more confused,I need to cull about 1K LP's,many I thought might be worthless seem to be collectable,think 1st issue Uriah Heep, Deep Purple etc most look fine but I need to play them as that will be the only way for me to asses the condition,I have the blue triangle DSOTM that doesn't visually look to good but plays fine.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

Bigman80 Guest

Truth is, this is gonna be a time intensive exercise. No matter where you sell them, they need to be graded and that takes loads of time. Then you need to find an outlet. eBay has it's critics but i've 300+ feedback and NEVER had an issue. If i were you, sort them into piles in terms of condition, decide on a price for the separate grades and take them to The Audio Jumble at Tonbridge. The next one is months away so you have time. Could also open up your home to AoS members in your area to come and have a look with a view to purchase. OR Take a phono of the spines and list them on the Forum.

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by GJO View Post
    Apologies for not updating this thread,but it's been a busy few weeks what with one thing or another.
    I have many watches going on,on both the auction site Discdogs etc to get some idea of values.
    When things settle down I will start a list.
    Are you aware of www.popsike.com ?

Searchable database of every eBay LP sale over about a tenner from the past ten years or so. It's very useful.

R

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by GJO View Post
    ... most look fine but I need to play them as that will be the only way for me to asses the condition...
    If the record is valuable I'd say it's essential to listen to it, and make note of any faults and note these in the listing alongside your grade. (E.g. "15 consecutive light ticks at beginning of S1; otherwise perfect" or whatever)

By valuable I mean maybe above £40, although you will come to your own position on this. Personally if it's worth over a hundred I'll listen to it all the way through. If it's worth a fiver I don't really feel it's worth the time to listen to it. Inspect under strong light, specify visually graded.

It's easy to sell records worth £100+ but the less they are worth the harder they are to shift.

Records worth under a tenner are (I think) a pita to sell on eBay once you take into account the time it takes to make the listing, walk to post office, fees, etc. Then you get the worry that one buyer might decide to give you negative feedback because he thinks your EX grading is really an EX-, and all for £2.50 "profit".

Flashback Records near me in London will give 40% of what they will price things at. If you've got 1,000 to sell its worth considering something like that. Saves a lot of time...

R

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

For tour lower priced records, how about booking a table at a record fair? The potential buyers can do their own visual grading, gets you off the hook. And while you're there you could look at what others are selling theirs for.

Of course there's the very real risk that you could come home with more vinyl than you started with!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123