+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to connect my laptop wirelessly to my DAC via the USB-B port but don't know how

I'm Paul.

Default Want to connect my laptop wirelessly to my DAC via the USB-B port but don't know how

Hey all
    Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but as the title says I'd like to connect my laptop wirelessly to my DAC and the only free port is the USB one, which has a USB-B socket open on the back of the unit.

I don't really know where to start ..

I've tried trawling the net for some info and looking at different things on Amazon and eBay but I'm more confused than I started now.

Surely there's a little black box somewhere for a few quid that'll let me do the job ?

Any advice would be gratefully received
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Might need a bit more info Paul on your actual equipment? I take it your DAC is just a straight input only, no Bluetooth or WifI etc? So what exactly have you got and what do you want to do - stream music from your laptop I'm guessing? Looking at your signature your DAC is just USB, Optical and Coax in - is that still current?

One solution would be a Bluetooth receiver which you plug into your DAC, via Coax/Optical, then you need to connect to that via Bluetooth to your laptop. If it doesn't have Bluetooth, you'll need a dongle for the laptop.

Another way would be something like a Raspberry Pi on your network, attached to the DAC with a HAT board (Hardware on Top), which will stream music across the network from your laptop. Not 100% sure about this, just believe you could.

Or you could look at Sonos for a bridge, you might need more than just this though. I get the impression you want a cheap small box solution and I can't think of anything, other than my first suggestion. Maybe others can help? The below won't work as it's RCA into the HiFi, but have a look for something similar that receives Bluetooth and sends it out via Optical or Coax - not sure you'll get a USB one, but you never know? Just gives you an idea what you are looking for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-S.../dp/B01CZVCYU0

Last edited by Tim; 04-03-2018 at 20:26.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

Probably a chromecast audio would be all you'd need or a similar miracast. Dlna stream via network
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Yeah that should work Grant, I've just bought one actually to see what it's like streaming Spotify into my DAC via Toslink - just need a Toslink cable now.

I'm Brian.

Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Hahaha, that made me chuckle Brian.

I'm Grant.

Works well. From pc you cat cast straight from chrome browser. Chrome canary is better. Bluetooth wise if going that route get aptx 4.1 or 4.2. 5 will be out soon but might be pricy. Sound quality from 4.2 is excellent
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Thanks for the replies so far

Yes, everything in my signature is accurate.
    The laptop does have bluetooth.

How about the odd occasion when I want to play something "live" from VirtualDJ or MediaMonkey ?
    Can I still do that through the bluetooth link without using a Chrome browser ??
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Grant.

Default Want to connect my laptop wirelessly to my DAC via the USB-B port but don't know how

If your pc has blutooth then you initially just need a receiver but all blutooth is not equal sound wise although they will work with each other it will be at the lowest rated one. If that doesn't worry u then just get a receiver that has an optical out to your dac
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Avantree Bluetooth USB Music & Talk Adapter, aptX Low Latency, for PC, Mac, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Driver-Free, Long Range Wireless Audio Dongle Transmitter, for VOIP, Movie, Games [2 Year Warranty] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G3J1I..._9FnNAbXX9YPBB

This is ideal for your transmitter. Gives class 1 performance.

For a receiver these are the best

Avantree Oasis LONG RANGE Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver, aptX Low Latency, Optical RCA 3.5mm Audio, VOICE & DISPLAY, BYPASS for TV Speakers [2-Year Warranty] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2VKC..._9JnNAb5GZ439R
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast