+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NOS DACs

I'm Tom.

If your priority is sound over features then an Audio Note 2.1x and upwards is a no-brainier.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    David,

What I coincidence I have just completed a review of the SW1X, an AN DAC2.1x (and I used a Metrum). Surprising winner.

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/revi...ac-ii-special/
    Didn't tally in the least with my experience George. I'm going to say no more than that.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Simon.

I have an old AN DAC which I have rebuilt with revised valve stage and PSU, but must admit that I have often been tempted by the AN Kits 4.1

http://www.ankaudiokits.com/e-shop3/...le-c-core.html

especially at the offer price
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades

I'm Justin.

In many ways recommending a DAC is a complete waste of time.

There are just too many variables for it to make sense.

1) Listener preferences.
    2) The frequency response and many other technical differences between one system installation and another.
    3) The fact that even DACs from various manufacturers change over time in terms of hardware content and other unpublished design changes.
    4) Valve DACs are particularly variable and a poor choice of valve in one DAC of the same model can be a huge differentiator against the same DAC with a great valve choice.
    5) Even cheap DACs can outperform very expensive ones on certain tracks.
    6) If the reviewer's limited selection of review tracks tips the balance in favour of one DAC over another in a review we have a "suspect evaluation" of which DAC is really the superior one.

etc etc...

So basically, it's all bullshit But really, if you haven't sussed that by now...

I remember being quite shocked when I heard Tom's DAC 4.1 (kit) after getting to know Kevin F's (real) DAC 4.1. Entirely different beasts, with Tom's being a lot cleaner and Kevin's being a lot more fruity and "inventive", shall we say. Oddly, I liked both, in their own ways.

Feeling pretty sceptical today...
    Avatar is a temporal FFT created by Aphex Twin. Literally sound representing a face in time/frequency/intensity domains. Pretty cool.

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Didn't tally in the least with my experience George. I'm going to say no more than that.
    Go on Tom give me your order of preference: Mine was SW1X, AN2.1x, Metrum and everything else.

I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

Quote Originally Posted by dsyzling View Post
    I'd be interested in your thoughts on this dac - don't want to hijack this thread, willing to discuss over PM. Dacs I would be considering would be something Audio Note, Border Patrol - but concerned about the flexibility and inputs - for both of those, Yggdrasil just because of a non NOS but R2R implementation and of course the DirectStream. The DirectStream is more than I was willing to spend but what is attractive is the flexibility of being a streamer and dac in one - I can forget about streamer alternatives and go with 2 box (dac/amp) solution (assuming I use the Bridge II board). Possibly I'd downsize to the Junior but would be interested on your thoughts.
    Hi Darren,
    happy to have a chat about the Directstream over PM.

Never heard anything like this in my life, in making recorded music sound like real people playing together and in your room, it out “analogues” my Michell Orbe/SME V/Dynavector XX2.

Takes months from new to show what it can really do, was initially disappointed but just kept getting better and better.
    an astonishing piece of kit.
    The Jr shares the same Ted Smith FPGA DNA so its a great choice.
    I have hifi n stuff.

I'm James.

I am sure the Directstream is a very good DAC indeed and probably trounces NOS DACS, any of which I would be very surprised sounded anything like analogue!

If you really want to hear a DAC that you would swear sounds analogue try listening to a Chord DAVE especially with a blu2 m-scaler. This is the first and only DAC I have heard that I would say sounds really analogue and betters vinyl with an almost mastertape style presentation. Yes it's expensive but it is stunningly good and does not sound digital at all. If it's an analogue sound you are after from a DAC then try and get to listen to one.

I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am sure the Directstream is a very good DAC indeed and probably trounces NOS DACS, any of which I would be very surprised sounded anything like analogue!

If you really want to hear a DAC that you would swear sounds analogue try listening to a Chord DAVE especially with a blu2 m-scaler. This is the first and only DAC I have heard that I would say sounds really analogue and betters vinyl with an almost mastertape style presentation. Yes it's expensive but it is stunningly good and does not sound digital at all. If it's an analogue sound you are after from a DAC then try and get to listen to one.
    Love to have heard a Dave dac James, a DCS Vivaldi stack as well.
    Linn, Naim dacs etc..not so much.

Couldn’t have afforded Dave anyway, only so many organs you can flog without it affecting your health!

Not spinned my vinyl rig for some time now, which is NOT a good thing considering that as dust collectors go its not my cheapest investment!
    Steve Floydroid mentioned a hifi get together recently I was interested in, (need to know basis) if that happens happy to bring my Dac along.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 20-04-2018 at 19:44.
    I have hifi n stuff.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Love to have heard a Dave dac James.
    Couldn’t have afforded one anyway, only so many organs you can flog without it affecting your health!

Not spinned my vinyl rig for some time now, which is NOT a good thing considering that as dust collectors go its not my cheapest investment!
    Steve Floydroid mentioned a hifi get together recently I was interested in, (need to know basis) if that happens happy to bring my Dac along.
    get that vinyl spinning Gary man.. its a great rig
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/M55E/EMOTIVA XPS1 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, DEEZER HiFi - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Love to have heard a Dave dac James, a DCS Vivaldi stack as well.
    Linn, Naim dacs etc..not so much.

Couldn’t have afforded Dave anyway, only so many organs you can flog without it affecting your health!

A get together would be great Gary, would be really good to see folk.

I really wish I could afford DAVE too, once heard it damages your brain, you feel your hearing has been exposed to another level of audio sound altogether. It is super smooth, staggeringly detailed but musical and totally non fatiguing. But what impresses most is how analogue it sounds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast