+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NOS DACs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    Many thanks everyone for your comments. As I expected there is a range of opinions but quite a few in favour of the Audionote DAC's and also Metrum. I'll try to hear a few and see how I feel about them. I'll report back when I have made my mind up. Just a quick question for ijrussell, you have heard all three makes I originally listed, which of them, or which models, do you prefer?
    That’s an impossible question to answer as they are all fantastic in the right systems. As a general rule with valve output DACs, spending more money gets you a less characterful and better sound and they work best with valve amplifiers. You really need to find a way to listen to a range of DACs, ideally in your system, to give you a better idea of what suits and don’t get hung up on NOS over other types. There are loads of great sounding DACs that aren’t in your face. Others to consider include Border Patrol, Aqua La Voce and Audiobyte Black Dragon plus Metrum, Lindemann and Exogal. We’ve never been so spoiled with great DACs.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by ijrussell View Post
    There are loads of great sounding DACs that aren’t in your face. Others to consider include Border Patrol, Aqua La Voce and Audiobyte Black Dragon plus Metrum, Lindemann and Exogal. We’ve never been so spoiled with great DACs.
    That's true. I'm not looking for a DAC at the moment but if I was, I would also include the strangely named Denafrips Terminator on my audition / consider list, out of interest.
    Last edited by jusbe; 08-03-2018 at 14:13.

+ Reply to Thread