+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NOS DACs

Bigman80 Guest

What strikes me as funny, is how every one of us playing with DACs, want it to sound more Analogue. I already have analogue lol

I'm Geoff.

DAC's can never sound analogue. They are digital!

But I do know what people mean. Many DAC's sound a bit lean and 'in yer face'. Fortunately mine don't.

I'm Grant.

I think the word is misused. Non-fatiguing would maybe be better. Many digital systems tire your brain quickly. Maybe the brain needs to work harder with them. No doubt vinyl has stamina for longer listens. Easier on the mind
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Yep, Grant, Geoff, I think you're right!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    What strikes me as funny, is how every one of us playing with DACs, want it to sound more Analogue. I already have analogue lol
    Not me, guv'nor.

If I want my music to sound analog I'll eat some Rice Krispies while listening to streamed audio.

Anyway, you can get bright, screechy and tiring vinyl playback in just the same way as you can get warm and cuddly digital.
    All options are available.

I'm gone.

I've limited experience with NOS DACs, but my most recent example was the DAC3 by Starting Point Systems in France.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-SPDIF...0AAOSwk1JWcsf8

They typically seem to sell on eBay auction for around £100, which is excellent vfm in my view.

I really liked it - but yes, quite a bit rolled off at the top with a meaty midrange and upper bass, and well defined imaging.
    Not the most startlingly dynamic or exciting sound - and it doesn't scintillate with detail - but very "musical" imo, in an analog kind of way.

I'm James.

A DAC's job is not to reconstruct the digital data into analogue but to recreate the original analogue waveform captured via a digital recording. As we hear in analogue, DAC's will never sound natural or truly "listenable" until they perform this function perfectly. They still have a way to go but the technology and chips which the DAC's are built around are still the limiting factor. I am encouraged that they are getting better as we have all heard through the evolution of digital audio in the last 30 years.

However DAC design is very complicated and there are not that many folk out there who can design them, least of all make them sound musical.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    DAC's can never sound analogue. They are digital!
    They just output electricity with a varying voltage. Exactly like a phono stage, or a tape deck does. Why would eschewing oversampling make this sound 'more analogue?' (That's rhetorical because I know the answer will be 'It just does'). In a blind comparison between an unfamiliar nos dac and an unfamiliar oversampling dac would you really be able to tell which was which?

If you want the sound of vinyl, listen to vinyl records!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    In a blind comparison between an unfamiliar nos dac and an unfamiliar oversampling dac would you really be able to tell which was which?
    Good question.

I'm Neil.

Default NOS DACs

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Good question.
    Yes. I used to do blind tests with my DAC in NOS vs 2x oversampling (88.2 kHz) to correct the treble droop, which at 44.1kHz is -3.2dB at 20kHz. The rolloff is clearly audible, just listen to some cymbals, but for me, things were more musically correct and ‘together’ with no oversampling. In any case one can just apply DSP, like I do via JRIver, if one wants to try.

The Foobar2000 ABX plugin is invaluable for blind testing, just encode one file at 44.1kHz, another at 88.2kHz, and compare. Try to avoid non-even oversampling like 96kHz or the original bits will not be preserved.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast