+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NOS DACs

montesquieu Guest

If your priority is sound over features then an Audio Note 2.1x and upwards is a no-brainier.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    David,

What I coincidence I have just completed a review of the SW1X, an AN DAC2.1x (and I used a Metrum). Surprising winner.

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/revi...ac-ii-special/
    Didn't tally in the least with my experience George. I'm going to say no more than that.

I'm Simon.

I have an old AN DAC which I have rebuilt with revised valve stage and PSU, but must admit that I have often been tempted by the AN Kits 4.1

http://www.ankaudiokits.com/e-shop3/...le-c-core.html

especially at the offer price
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Justin.

In many ways recommending a DAC is a complete waste of time.

There are just too many variables for it to make sense.

1) Listener preferences.
    2) The frequency response and many other technical differences between one system installation and another.
    3) The fact that even DACs from various manufacturers change over time in terms of hardware content and other unpublished design changes.
    4) Valve DACs are particularly variable and a poor choice of valve in one DAC of the same model can be a huge differentiator against the same DAC with a great valve choice.
    5) Even cheap DACs can outperform very expensive ones on certain tracks.
    6) If the reviewer's limited selection of review tracks tips the balance in favour of one DAC over another in a review we have a "suspect evaluation" of which DAC is really the superior one.

etc etc...

So basically, it's all bullshit But really, if you haven't sussed that by now...

I remember being quite shocked when I heard Tom's DAC 4.1 (kit) after getting to know Kevin F's (real) DAC 4.1. Entirely different beasts, with Tom's being a lot cleaner and Kevin's being a lot more fruity and "inventive", shall we say. Oddly, I liked both, in their own ways.

Feeling pretty sceptical today...

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Didn't tally in the least with my experience George. I'm going to say no more than that.
    Go on Tom give me your order of preference: Mine was SW1X, AN2.1x, Metrum and everything else.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by dsyzling View Post
    I'd be interested in your thoughts on this dac - don't want to hijack this thread, willing to discuss over PM. Dacs I would be considering would be something Audio Note, Border Patrol - but concerned about the flexibility and inputs - for both of those, Yggdrasil just because of a non NOS but R2R implementation and of course the DirectStream. The DirectStream is more than I was willing to spend but what is attractive is the flexibility of being a streamer and dac in one - I can forget about streamer alternatives and go with 2 box (dac/amp) solution (assuming I use the Bridge II board). Possibly I'd downsize to the Junior but would be interested on your thoughts.
    Hi Darren,
    happy to have a chat about the Directstream over PM.

Never heard anything like this in my life, in making recorded music sound like real people playing together and in your room, it out “analogues” my Michell Orbe/SME V/Dynavector XX2.

Takes months from new to show what it can really do, was initially disappointed but just kept getting better and better.
    an astonishing piece of kit.
    The Jr shares the same Ted Smith FPGA DNA so its a great choice.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

I am sure the Directstream is a very good DAC indeed and probably trounces NOS DACS, any of which I would be very surprised sounded anything like analogue!

If you really want to hear a DAC that you would swear sounds analogue try listening to a Chord DAVE especially with a blu2 m-scaler. This is the first and only DAC I have heard that I would say sounds really analogue and betters vinyl with an almost mastertape style presentation. Yes it's expensive but it is stunningly good and does not sound digital at all. If it's an analogue sound you are after from a DAC then try and get to listen to one.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am sure the Directstream is a very good DAC indeed and probably trounces NOS DACS, any of which I would be very surprised sounded anything like analogue!

If you really want to hear a DAC that you would swear sounds analogue try listening to a Chord DAVE especially with a blu2 m-scaler. This is the first and only DAC I have heard that I would say sounds really analogue and betters vinyl with an almost mastertape style presentation. Yes it's expensive but it is stunningly good and does not sound digital at all. If it's an analogue sound you are after from a DAC then try and get to listen to one.
    Love to have heard a Dave dac James, a DCS Vivaldi stack as well.
    Linn, Naim dacs etc..not so much.

Couldn’t have afforded Dave anyway, only so many organs you can flog without it affecting your health!

Not spinned my vinyl rig for some time now, which is NOT a good thing considering that as dust collectors go its not my cheapest investment!
    Steve Floydroid mentioned a hifi get together recently I was interested in, (need to know basis) if that happens happy to bring my Dac along.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 20-04-2018 at 19:44.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Love to have heard a Dave dac James.
    Couldn’t have afforded one anyway, only so many organs you can flog without it affecting your health!

Not spinned my vinyl rig for some time now, which is NOT a good thing considering that as dust collectors go its not my cheapest investment!
    Steve Floydroid mentioned a hifi get together recently I was interested in, (need to know basis) if that happens happy to bring my Dac along.
    get that vinyl spinning Gary man.. its a great rig
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Love to have heard a Dave dac James, a DCS Vivaldi stack as well.
    Linn, Naim dacs etc..not so much.

Couldn’t have afforded Dave anyway, only so many organs you can flog without it affecting your health!

A get together would be great Gary, would be really good to see folk.

I really wish I could afford DAVE too, once heard it damages your brain, you feel your hearing has been exposed to another level of audio sound altogether. It is super smooth, staggeringly detailed but musical and totally non fatiguing. But what impresses most is how analogue it sounds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast