+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phono amplifier or SUT problems

I'm James.

Default Phono amplifier or SUT problems

An interesting article for folk who may have noise issues with their phono amp or SUT

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/a...ier-sut-noise/

I'm My.

Hey Jimbo, that's an interesting read. I find powerline adapters designed to extend the wired network are the main noise issue for me.

I'm Grant.

so im told. ive got 2, but cant say ive noticed, although my gear all goes through a regenerator so that might remove a lot of it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by argyle View Post
    Hey Jimbo, that's an interesting read. I find powerline adapters designed to extend the wired network are the main noise issue for me.
    I agree so I now have mine all plugged in directly to wall sockets. The problem with SUTs is their ability to pick up noise from other amplifiers nearby.

Bigman80 Guest

I've had a great result putting a ferrite bead/clamp on the power lead.

I'm My.

Cheers Oliver. I'll give that a go.

Bigman80 Guest

Cheers Oliver. I'll give that a go.
    No worries. It hasn't completely removed the noise but it's definitely better. The only way I've found to stop it is turn the blood powerline adapters off

I'm Paul.

When I built my phono stage and head amp I had to pay careful consideration to the grounding scheme. In the end I installed a switch on the phono amp that either connects the chassis ground to the signal ground or to an earthing post so that the chassis can be grounded by a separate lead that can connect to another chassis ground or the mains ground. The head amp chassis is separate from the signal ground and has it’s own binding post that connects to the mains earth.

Before I had sorted this out fully I placed the head amp on a baking tray that was connected to mains earth. This was quite effective for airbourne rfi/emi. I think that powerline adapters will always be an issue as they work by injecting high frequency signal, which in terms of hifi is to be considered noise, onto the mains and I imagine that they also dump quite a bit of noise onto the mains earth, which makes filtering noise more difficult.

I also use one of those BT mains conditioning units to separate the SMPS of my NAS drive from the rest of my hifi equipment. This really seems to help. They tend to buzz quite a bit but I have discovered that this can be solved by removing the lid, which is quite resonant, and removing the transformer from the chassis and reinstalling it with a peice a foam underneath in order to provide some mechanical isolation. Also tightened up the bolts on the transformer that clamp the laminations together. It is silent now.
    Last edited by Primalsea; 04-03-2018 at 17:38.
    ~Paul~

I'm My.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    No worries. It hasn't completely removed the noise but it's definitely better. The only way I've found to stop it is turn the blood powerline adapters off
    The thing is, they (the powerline adapter) can't go on the equipment side of a mains filter due to loss of the data riding on the back of the mains. I'll be looking for a better option longer term.

Bigman80 Guest

The thing is, they (the powerline adapter) can't go on the equipment side of a mains filter due to loss of the data riding on the back of the mains. I'll be looking for a better option longer term.
    I know, other than a hardwired connection, I'm not sure what can be done

+ Reply to Thread