+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pickering / Stanton - is there a relationship?

I'm Graham.

Default Pickering / Stanton - is there a relationship?

Can anyone tell me what the relationship is/was between Pickering and Stanton pickup cartridges? The body of the cartridges looks to be the same, only the stylus seems to be different.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Grant.

A guy called Walter Stanton bought Pickering in 1950's who were a component co., then later(about 10 years) started stanton magnetic as well. hence they use similar stuff.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A guy called Walter Stanton bought Pickering in 1950's who were a component co., then later(about 10 years) started stanton magnetic as well. hence they use similar stuff.
    So similar that their stili are interchangeable?
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Pavel.

Yes, the styli are interchangeable between matching series of Stanton and Pickering cartridges.

For example, Pickering XV15 and Stanton 680/681 are really the same body. The same is true for Stanton 500 and Pickering V15. Pickering XSV3000 is the same as Stanton 880/881, etc.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    Yes, the styli are interchangeable between matching series of Stanton and Pickering cartridges.

For example, Pickering XV15 and Stanton 680/681 are really the same body. The same is true for Stanton 500 and Pickering V15. Pickering XSV3000 is the same as Stanton 880/881, etc.
    That confirms what I suspected. It's only the stylus that is different. I was under the impression that the Stanton was made for tougher working conditions such as broadcast, disco, club, etc while the Pickering was for audiophile or domestic use.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    That confirms what I suspected. It's only the stylus that is different. I was under the impression that the Stanton was made for tougher working conditions such as broadcast, disco, club, etc while the Pickering was for audiophile or domestic use.
    Actually, the styli are more or less the same as well, but the styling of the stylus grips is different.

Stanton did produce a line of “calibration standard” cartridges which were individually measured at the factory and guaranteed to have a certain response under certain conditions. These were intended for broadcast applications. For example, 681 is the “calibration standard” version of 680. Oh, and Stanton 500 is probably the best known DJ cartridge ever. Otherwise they were about as rugged as their Pickering counterparts.

I'm Graham.

Actually, the styli are more or less the same as well, but the styling of the stylus grips is different.

Stanton did produce a line of “calibration standard” cartridges which were individually measured at the factory at guaranteed to have a certain response under certain conditions. These were intended for broadcast applications. For example, 681 is the “calibration standard” version of 680. Oh, and Stanton 500 is probably the best known DJ cartridge ever. Otherwise they were about as rugged as their Pickering counterparts.
    Thanks, Pavel, for the info.

I'm Pavel.

I have a very nice Stanton 681 lying somewhere, it's a pity the original stylus is borked and genuine replacements are no longer available. Unfortunately, Jico doesn't produce SAS styli for Stanton/Pickering, and all their elliptical offerings are just 0.3x0.7 bonded stones...
    Last edited by Shovel_Knight; 04-03-2018 at 19:05.

I'm Graham.

I have a very nice Stanton D681 lying somewhere, it's a pity the original stylus is borked and the genuine replacements are no longer available. Unfortunately, Jico doesn't produce SAS styli for Stanton/Pickering, and all their elliptical offerings are just 0.3x0.7 bonded stones...
    That is a shame.

+ Reply to Thread