+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable review

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by quadsugdenman View Post
    I have been running the Black Mambas for over six weeks. They have improved immensely over that time. Initially they seemed to lack detail if not a tad light in the upper frequencies compared to my old QED Silver and Ortofon Copper speaker cables.
    I have since tried them with the Antique Sound Lab monos, Quad 909 and my Croft Series 7 using identical sources both vinyl and digital. They certainly have improved the clarity and separation of the 909 which can sound 'muddy', lack tonal definition and position sometimes. However the whole valve/Hybrid sound is even smoother, more articulate with each instrument's position in the mix identifiable and the tonal balance improved. I think the bass depth has also improved with the mid range calarity and upper frequencies extended.
    All in all, excellent value for money. Thanks to Marco and ColinB for recommending them to me
    Sounds like this should go in the 'Cable burning' thread.

Still don't understand how a new speaker cable can make up for the shortcomings of a power amp, unless the previous cables were utter rubbish (in your case this would seem to suggest they had a high resistance).

Regards
    Barry

I'm Garry.

Yes Barry you are correct. However this was tacked on to a thread on the Mambas by Highfidelityguy (Dave) that appeared here. I was just reporting my findings using the different power amps with the Mamba cable. Nonetheless there was a perceived difference over the QED and Ortofon cables for whatever reason
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

I'm Tom.

I still have a pair of Black Mambas in my system after 2.5 years and that really is a record for me

Bear in mind too that I have had some really esoteric speaker cables over the years including some top end Audio Note at frightening price levels, yet even with those I had reservations about the sound I was getting, whereas with the Mambas there are none - they do their job perfectly.

Even after 2.5 years I can't find anything about them to criticise sound quality wise, although the banana plugs don't have anywhere near enough grip for my liking and changing them without ruining the cable means I will put up with them a while longer before I get the soldering out.

Initially I did have problems with the spade/banana attachment threads loosening up over time, that was until I applied a drop of Loctite to stop that.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I have been very tempted to buy a set ' but i have been using Hitachi 102ssx for 14 years and there is now't wrong with it.

I had a close look at a set of Black mamba's at Whittlebury' they are superbly made.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Philip.

I picked up 2 pairs of Black Mambas at the from Stamford Audio at Whittlebury Hall.
    They are being used on the main system and the classic system. Very pleased with the results so far.
    Main Sys. N.A.S DAIS; 12" Ace Space , Benz Micro Wood SL, Timesteep T-01MC, Quad Platinum DMP, Quad Platinum Pre, FM4,Quad Platinum Stereo, Quad ESL 63, PRC4 RCM, Chord XLR, Mark Grant G1000HD, Black Mamba's. Stax SRM600 SR507
    AVCambridge audio Blu-ray player, Pioneer SC-LX 57 Front 2 channels switched into Quad 606 Powering the ESL63s. Rear powering Celestion Speakers, LFE 2 cheap subwoffers.
    Man-cave Sys. A. GL75, RB300, ZYX R100H, Rega Planer 3, RB200, Rega Carbon Elys II,Quad 34, 606, Tangent RS4.
    Man-cave Sys. B. Revox A77, Akai 400D, Sugdon A48II, JPW Monitors.
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=341
    Classic Sys. Garrard 301, SME M2-9R, Benz Micro Wood SL, Quad Vena, 303, FM3, AM3. ESL 57. Quad II, 22, FM2 Rega Planet. Rega Phono
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=403
    Headphones, Stax SR507 (x2) /SRM600 Limited, Sennhieser HD424, Sennhieser HD558, AKGK105UHF, Beyerdynamic DT 931, Beyerdynamic DT231, Etymotic ER4 micropro.

I'm Dion.

Default Newby

As a newly self proclaimed audiophile I have just made a jump from cheap speaker cables to the Black Mamba cables. First off I have a very limited and cost effective system. My amp is a Pioneer 1020. I'm using a tube preamp buffer out of China called the SD-CD 3by Yaoin with some Russian 1970s 6SN7 tubes in situ. I use a Maverick D1 audio DAC to take 96/24 files from my Dell XPS laptop to the system. For speakers I use the Polk RSi A7 in a Bi Amped config. I couldn't buy everything at once so I've been building slowly and have added an Ultra Power grid along with audiophile Sonar PEX2 platinum power cables and Indeed/ RCA connectors. I've topped the system off with a couple pairs of Sterling's Black Mamba speaker cables with banana connectors at both ends. To be honest I've been adding to my system at a rather quick pace over the past few months so all my equipment has not had proper burn in time. However, I can speak for what I hear now. I was using some cheaper USA made cables I bought off eBay for $50 in a bi amped config. At first I only bought one pair of Black Mambas and put them in the mid to high connection on my Polk speakers. Immediately I heard a more clear and precise sound from my system. It's like sheets were taken off my speakers and I could hear them more clearly. I called my wife who is not an audiophile but does enjoy music....after a few seconds of listening she couldn't believe the improvement of sound. I was so sold that I ordered another pair for the mid bass connectors on the polk speakers. I received them only two days ago and have been using them since. I can only describe the sound as open...uncolored...and clear. The detail is unshaded and open. These Polk speakers with the Black Mamba cables in bi amp config really allow my set up to reach its full stride with ease. My next step is to change out my tubes for some different gold connector tubes with a different plate and getter configurations. I know the bottle neck in my system is the Pioneer 1020k and an Elite system would improve the quality overall. However, I do enjoy the sound at this point and what brought it to this point was the Black Mamba cables. I know all systems are different and we all have tastes that differ. For me I can't praise the Sterling cable company enough for the high quality cables they make and distribute. On a budget and relatively new to this audiophilic world...I would still put my money down on another set of these well made...perfectly balanced speaker cables. Somebody...prove me wrong!

Welcome to the forum. Glad you like the cables which are one of the best bargains in HiFi.
    Paul

Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable.

I'm drunk.

I'm Gary.

Have a set of these, need to upgrade the hifi before I think about changing these!

One thing though..the screw in banana plugs?
    I had some problems with them loosening off as well as them easily slipping out the sockets of a couple of amps I've tried them with, though they are fine with my current amp.
    I think they are maybe slightly smaller than 4mm?

I have a set of THESE:
    http://www.priceninja.com/banana-plu...-2750797-p.asp
    which could be soldered in?

Any advantage over whats fitted as standard?

Or what about these?
    http://www.asia.ru/images/img/57095/BP-208CG.jpg
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Have a set of these, need to upgrade the hifi before I think about changing these!

One thing though..the screw in banana plugs?
    I had some problems with them loosening off as well as them easily slipping out the sockets of a couple of amps I've tried them with, though they are fine with my current amp.
    I think they are maybe slightly smaller than 4mm?

I have a set of THESE:
    http://www.priceninja.com/banana-plu...-2750797-p.asp
    which could be soldered in?

Any advantage over whats fitted as standard?

Or what about these?
    http://www.asia.ru/images/img/57095/BP-208CG.jpg
    I had the same problem with the screw-on terminals coming loose over time, which I cured with some shakeproof washers - £0.20p from the local hardware store. A drop of Loctite on the threads could also work well.

You can gently lift the splines on the banana plugs with a small screwdriver and maybe slip a small length of thin copper wire under a couple of the splines to make it fit tighter into the socket. A bit fiddly perhaps but it is a permanent solution for any banana plugs with splines.

"Z" plugs are better than the vast majority of inexpensive 4mm banana plugs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast