+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Return of the Mack"

I'm steve.

Default "Return of the Mack"

It's been a few years since I posted here and the system is treating me like a newbie, so I have to post here first and (re)introduce myself:

I'm Steve and my system is Quad ESL-57 OneThing, Mastersound Compact845 single ended valve amp, (digital is) MacBookPro-wireless-Arcam rDac + Musical Fidelity X10-D, and a Mytek Stereo96 ADC, Nakamichi CR5E tape deck, Leak Troughline tuner + Gate decoder, EAR834 clone phono amp, OneAC 2kW isolation transformer, Townshend isolation rack and (since I've sold my SP-10) I'm working on a custom turntable with direct drive motor, maglift bearing and Permali plinth…...
    Last edited by koyaanisqatsi; 03-03-2018 at 19:17.

I'm Martin.

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Interesting system, look forward to seeing your turntable build.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi View Post
    It's been a few years since I posted here and the system is treating me like a newbie, so I have to post here first and (re)introduce myself:

I'm Steve and my system is Quad ESL-57 OneThing, Mastersound Compact845 single ended valve amp, (digital is) MacBookPro-wireless-Arcam rDac + Musical Fidelity X10-D, and a Mytek Stereo96 ADC, Nakamichi CR5E tape deck, Leak Troughline tuner + Gate decoder, OneAC 2kW isolation transformer, Townshend isolation rack and (since I've sold my SP-10) I'm working on a custom turntable with direct drive motor, maglift bearing and Permali plinth…...
    Welcome.

Single ended 845 is a bit of a strange one to use with ESLs ... push pull is normally the recommendation.

One big reason is the impedance curve which dips very low indeed, which neither single ended amps, not some solid state amps, like very much:

You been using it long? Many years ago I tried a Unison S8 (845) with my ESLs and it really disappointed.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Welcome.

Single ended 845 is a bit of a strange one to use with ESLs ... push pull is normally the recommendation.

Many years ago I tried a Unison S8 (845) with my ESLs and it really disappointed.
    Thanks Tom,

I get really good results, the single ended amp is real gentle on the Quads (even at high volume) and frequency response is good from top to bottom. Single ended amps are very valve sensitive though, you hear the difference between types far more than you do in a push-pull, when I found the right ones the sound fell into place. Much prefer the sound to my Radford STA-15.

(And you reminded me: I hadn't put my EAR834 clone on my list)
    Last edited by koyaanisqatsi; 03-03-2018 at 19:36.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Steve. Welcome to AOS.

Unusual selection of equipment you have there. The Quads are popular with members.

Your turntable project is of interest, perhaps you could feature it in a blog in our Gallery section.

Just join in the chat, everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

+ Reply to Thread