+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cartridge advice

I'm Andy.

Default Cartridge advice

Afternoon all, need some cartridge advice, l have a Lyra Helikon that needs re-tipping (£300 ish- this is going to Expert Stylus Co) before l do this are there any carts around the £300 mark that will in terms of performance that will get near the Helikon, have heard good things about Ortofon 2M Black, AT33PTG,T/T is SL1200, soon to be seriously re-wired stock arm and damped, Sumiko headshell, Isoenoe feet and the cart will be feeding TE Groove and/or CA 640P, thanks for any help, the Helikon is really the only MC l have had experience with- but it sounds superb!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Jason.

I'm running an AT33PTG with a similar setup, and it sounds very good indeed. Seems to match the Techie arm well enough. Very lively sound and excellent dynamics, soundstage and detail - maybe not the last word in bass though. Not bass light, but without the 'slam' of a 103 for instance.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Dave.

I can't think of any cartridge for £300 ish which sounds as good as a Helikon.

If you are getting it repaired by ESCO, I would recommend that you get them to replace like with like if they can because any changes to stylus profile, cantilever or mounting will sound different to what you have now.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    I'm running an AT33PTG with a similar setup, and it sounds very good indeed. Seems to match the Techie arm well enough. Very lively sound and excellent dynamics, soundstage and detail - maybe not the last word in bass though. Not bass light, but without the 'slam' of a 103 for instance.

Jason
    I was going to say that one as well, with a partial disagreement on the bass "quality" or "amount" The 33PTG may well prefer a slightly massier tonearm to bolster the bass a little more - the suspension should have enough damping to prevent wobble on warps..

How much is an "exchange" Helikon?

P.s. I think the PTG's gone now, so you may have to look around for the alternative 33EV(?)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

The Helikon is long gone, so there is no p/x. The old Helikon can be used as a p/x against any other of the current Lyra's though.

+ Reply to Thread