+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linear PSU Xbox One

I'm Mark.

Default Linear PSU Xbox One

I use an Xbox One with external power brick as the media hub in my living room

Music duties are still handled by the squeezebox eco system but I got to pondering if the Xbox could be improved. so far it's benefitted quite a lot from sound deadening the case and fitting and internal SSD

As the next stage I was wondering if a psu change would be beneficial

Has anyone heard of a linear psu available as so far I'm drawing a blank?

I'm Bob.

Get an Xbox One X, no power brick

I use mine for everything including music, I currently have my music files on a USB stick (Plan to put them on an external USB hard drive), my only let down is with the software I am using, I use VLC, as it's the only music software that: 1 supports .Flac, 2 I can use the same software on my Surface Pro, my Microsoft 950XL phone and even my work supplied Android phone. I would prefer to use Groove but on the Xbox Groove doesn't know about local music or .Flac, shame as Groove is far better on the phone and Surface "Tablet" (It's actually my main PC via a docking station, my tablet and also my laptop).

With the added advantage of 4K HDR games and films and as far as I am concerned top quality music playback.

I'm Mark.

since the internal psu on the newer versions are SMPS in this case I think the external brick is actually beneficial as potentially it can be upgraded

I'm Paul.

Looks like you need 12V at 8 amps and 5V at 1 amp. Chances are this would have to be something you put together yourself from various kits. Quasar Electronics sell such kits but the 12v linear supply will be quite large and expensive.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

I used to be interested in the brick for the 360 because the one that came with the slim was a bit noisy with its own little fan which was making a funny noise. I ended up using my previous 203w one with an adapter cable sold on the aftermarket.

The xbox 360 slim doesnt draw 203w and its more like half that but the older bricks are quiet and seem better made. I have never had a problem with it.

Microsoft started using different connectors for the several power supplies they used but the adapter cable was the solution there

Why do you want another power supply for the One? its not noisy or badly performing is it? I cant see the point.

I like quiet consoles and from the 360 slim onwards they seem quiet enough. Im not bothered the about power supplies. Im more into modding the original xbox and Ps2s because they are noisy by comparison
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 03-03-2018 at 23:17.

+ Reply to Thread