The Album Club choice for March comes courtesy of Richie (martian sunrise) with The Shaolin Afronauts - 'Flight of the Ancients'. As always please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

THE SHAOLIN AFRONAUTS - FLIGHT OF THE ANCIENTS

Here is my submission for March’s Album Club.

In recent years I have taken a real shine to the current crop of modern bands that are making modern funk, soul and (especially) Afrobeat. A lot of it unashamedly draws on their influences of the pioneers of the genres, but with modern twists. Many of the bands also show a willingness to take bits and pieces from other influences and melt it into some really great records.

In picking this album, I did think about a classic rock and roll album, or some obscure 70s hard rock album, or even a seminal album from one of the ‘outlying’ genres of rock that I really enjoy, but the chances are that many of you would have either heard it already, not been too interested or just found it too out there…

Sooo… here is the first album by an Adelaide band called the Shaolin Afronauts.

One for the fans of Afrobeat, afro-jazz, jazz-funk – whatever you want to call it. As someone that claims to “not like jazz”, this was the album that sent me in all sorts of directions when it came out and really got me to explore more African music, more jazz and also introduced me to a lot of new funk and soul bands.

Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5XGRi...T02kTfalraqTHw