+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Denon DL-103C1

I'm Charlie.

Default Denon DL-103C1

Thanks to Kevin (CageyH), I am now enjoying his Denon DL-103C1. It has taken me a while to mount the cartridge - too many other things to do.

Anyway I have put it in my second study system - mounted on the late Stewart Emming's (Lodgesound) mint Techie SL1210 Mk2, which his parents kindly gave me. Playing into a NAD 1300 preamp, Radford STA 15/III and LS3/5as. Sounding really great - I can think of Stewart every time I spin a record.

I know that I can fettle the Techie too make it better. But this deck is pretty much a NOS item. It came in the packaging, with everything taped up in the correct place. The dustcover is unmarked. I don't need to pimp this, as I have Platine Verdier downstairs in my main system. This is just going to be for listening while I do my paperwork

R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm James.

Looks good Charlie, nearly considered one myself until I heard a Kontrapunkt B!

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Looks good Charlie, nearly considered one myself until I heard a Kontrapunkt B!
    James,

I'm very lucky as I don't need another high end cartridge, as I have an Allaerts MC1B and my JW rebuilt Decca C4E on my PV. I bought this strictly out of curiosity, having sold a fair number of DL-103Ds back in the late 70s/early 80s, when I was working with Ken Kessler in Canterbury Hi-Fi. As the body of the C1 variant is better than the cheap plastic shell on the standard 103 series, I bought it on a whim. My whim has indeed been a good call. This was cheap at 230 notes and it's a bargain at that price - perfect for a second system.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    James,

I'm very lucky as I don't need another high end cartridge, as I have an Allaerts MC1B and my JW rebuilt Decca C4E on my PV. I bought this strictly out of curiosity, having sold a fair number of DL-103Ds back in the late 70s/early 80s, when I was working with Ken Kessler in Canterbury Hi-Fi. As the body of the C1 variant is better than the cheap plastic shell on the standard 103 series, I bought it on a whim. My whim has indeed been a good call. This was cheap at 230 notes and it's a bargain at that price - perfect for a second system.

Charlie
    There are so many variants of the Denon 103 its hard to keep up with them all. It would be good to a have some sort of reference sheet outlining the sound from each model? Maybe you have this knowledge Charlie?

I suspect Marco could do this as he has had most models of the 103.

I'm Charlie.

James,

My only experience of 103s until now comes from a few decades ago. We pretty much only sold the 103D variant then, so I'm definitely not the one to ask as a reference. Marco would certainly be much more knowledgable in this respect.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    There are so many variants of the Denon 103 its hard to keep up with them all. It would be good to a have some sort of reference sheet outlining the sound from each model? Maybe you have this knowledge Charlie?

I suspect Marco could do this as he has had most models of the 103.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    This was cheap at 230 notes and it's a bargain at that price - perfect for a second system.
    I knew I should have asked for more.
    I sold it at roughly the same price as I bought it from Marco.
    Sure I could have got more, but that is not what AoS is all about

I am glad it is doing the business, and that you are enjoying it. .
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread