+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LCR phono stages - opinion

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    Remton has glowing tubes inside! A side observation is that everyone seems to be playing Koln Concert when testing phono stages. Out of all Keith's LPs - that's the one I don't have ;-(
    Well, yes, valves for me are the best way although others will disagree.

It looks a good unit. Hopefully the Valab is up to the task. Personally, I always buy a new LP to try things out. Go buy it

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

It looks a good unit. Hopefully the Valab is up to the task. Personally, I always buy a new LP to try things out. Go buy it
    New LP? That would be a real treat. Last time I purchased a brand new record was about 15 years ago and that was Hunky Dory 220g re-issue.

montesquieu Guest

That was always my view on phono stages till I heard the Vida - which is also over £4k now, though in my view you also have to figure in a decent SUT as well.

Incidentally, Allnic is up to double that (and no better in my view though I can't remember which was the model I heard), for the Zandens, five figures minimum, and the new retail on the EAR 912 is over five figures too, though that is also a full feature line stage along with its two-arm LCR phono section + quality four-ratio SUT... so yes, the Valab does indeed seem like a bargain in this company.

Remton is a new on on me (nice find!) and would appear to be respectable value for a tubed LCR phono stage, though as the author suggests, I'd be tempted in this case to buy the MM version and select my own SUT as the ratios provided internally don't really suit what I need in my setup. Would probably suit most though.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    That was always my view on phono stages till I heard the Vida - which is also over £4k now, though in my view you also have to figure in a decent SUT as well.

Incidentally, Allnic is up to double that (and no better in my view though I can't remember which was the model I heard), for the Zandens, five figures minimum, and the new retail on the EAR 912 is over five figures too, though that is also a full feature line stage along with its two-arm LCR phono section + quality four-ratio SUT... so yes, the Valab does indeed seem like a bargain in this company.

Remton is a new on on me (nice find!) and would appear to be respectable value for a tubed LCR phono stage, though as the author suggests, I'd be tempted in this case to buy the MM version and select my own SUT as the ratios provided internally don't really suit what I need in my setup. Would probably suit most though.
    The Vida is something I'd love to try at home. I'll never buy one but just to see how it sounds here would be very interesting.

I'm Brook.

I have heard the Vida a few times now & I agree it is very, very good, but I have a modified Art Audio Vinyl One Reference that really does it for me, it sounds lithe with lots of air between instruments which to me is beguiling, probably helped by the fact my amp is a Art Audio Quintet, also heavily modded. I was seriously contemplating the Vida until I found a couple of wee problems with both that were sorted easily & quickly by Graeme (Valve bloke), & now the overall sound is sublime & more than good enough for me. The V1 also isn't cheap, not far off the Vida in term of price, at least with the spec mine has, but it is a keeper for sure, lottery win excepted!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    I have heard the Vida a few times now & I agree it is very, very good, but I have a modified Art Audio Vinyl One Reference that really does it for me, it sounds lithe with lots of air between instruments which to me is beguiling, probably helped by the fact my amp is a Art Audio Quintet, also heavily modded. I was seriously contemplating the Vida until I found a couple of wee problems with both that were sorted easily & quickly by Graeme (Valve bloke), & now the overall sound is sublime & more than good enough for me. The V1 also isn't cheap, not far off the Vida in term of price, at least with the spec mine has, but it is a keeper for sure, lottery win excepted!
    It's not a model I'm familiar withe but at those prices, I'm not surprised lol

montesquieu Guest

It's not a model I'm familiar withe but at those prices, I'm not surprised lol
    I had a Vinyl One for a bit too, it was a lovely phono stage. Not so expensive in those days (back in the 00s) I think I paid about a grand second-hand for it (off the Wam if I'm not mistaken).

I'm Keith.

There is a diy version but have no idea how it sounds.

http://www.pmillett.com/LR_phono.html

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marra View Post
    There is a diy version but have no idea how it sounds.

http://www.pmillett.com/LR_phono.html
    There's a list of parts:
    http://www.pmillett.com/file_downloads/lr_phono_BOM.pdf

and the grand total of $175 + the PCBs - got to be worth giving it a shot!

Bigman80 Guest

Shit. I quite fancy this project.

Where's the link to buy the PCBs?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast