+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LCR phono stages - opinion

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Personally, I don't believe that that one design choice - to use inductors - is the silver bullet which produces vastly superior phonostages.
    Thanks Andrew. You're absolutely right about this being a new marketing acronym. In any case, on the strength of the Troel's review (and correspondence with Tom), I've ordered the Valab. I'll report back!

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    Thanks Andrew. You're absolutely right about this being a new marketing acronym. In any case, on the strength of the Troel's review (and correspondence with Tom), I've ordered the Valab. I'll report back!
    Yes! I've been waiting for someone to get one of these and do a write-up!!

More power to you.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Yes! I've been waiting for someone to get one of these and do a write-up!!

More power to you.
    Might need to hire a ghost writer for the review ;-) . My system is such a patchwork of things that any sound character can be attributed to anything in the chain...

I'm Graham.

I have had the Vida and a home built unit with a parts cost of 6.5K at my place,I would have liked to spend more time with them as bake off's aren't the best situations for a proper listen,but they both sounded rather special.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    Might need to hire a ghost writer for the review ;-) . My system is such a patchwork of things that any sound character can be attributed to anything in the chain...
    Lol,
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm richard.

The Valeb consists of a lot of kit/components for the money and yes it does seem to be a steal at that price. The write up seems extraordinary given the competition it faced.

The Lounge on the other hand is very well reviewed but it is a US budget phono priced at $300. In the UK its - not unsurprisingly - a rather more expensive 500. But I didn't pay that !. That said, the cost for the sound improvements I'd gained made it good value for me.

I'd be very interested to hear any reports made about the Valeb performance

Nice choice

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I clipped this summary from the web:

...The advantage of an LCR network, used to achieve the exact same RIAA correction, is that it places only an inductor in series with the system, which has very low DC resistance compared to the resistor mandated in RC type RIAA networks. Capacitors and resistors are used as well, but all of these are in parallel with the signal, connected to ground. Theoretically that does less "damage" to the signal, where "damage" can mean different things to different audiophiles.
    This is the same argument that says that one out of the two resistors that form a potential divider is more important than the other. I don't buy it - it doesn't make any sense from an engineering point of view or any other point of view, except that of the novice looking at a circuit diagram without understanding it.
    I'm not saying that LCR phonostages can't be fabulous - I've no doubt they can be - just that it isn't the LCR bit per se that makes them fabulous.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    This is the same argument that says that one out of the two resistors that form a potential divider is more important than the other. I don't buy it - it doesn't make any sense from an engineering point of view or any other point of view, except that of the novice looking at a circuit diagram without understanding it.
    I'm not saying that LCR phonostages can't be fabulous - I've no doubt they can be - just that it isn't the LCR bit per se that makes them fabulous.
    Nevertheless, the best phono stages I've heard out of rather a lot of them have been LCR, independent of whether valve or solid state (a surprise to me as a valve fan) ... perhaps it's just not worth the effort in trying to solve the engineering problems in creating one if you aren't also shooting for the high end? Custom-wound inductors themselves are quite a big statement, when a LR phono stage can be done with standard components off the shelf. Have you had a crack at one yourself?
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Andrew.

No, I haven't made an LCR phonostage myself, but I have been intrigued by the idea for a long time, mainly due to the fact that capacitors are not distortion-free devices. Still, neither are inductors, but at least it's a different type of distortion and possibly more benign.
    My attention is currently focused on power amps, though perhaps it shouldn't be - this is strictly for personal use and education, not a commercial project.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Nevertheless, the best phono stages I've heard out of rather a lot of them have been LCR, independent of whether valve or solid state (a surprise to me as a valve fan) ... perhaps it's just not worth the effort in trying to solve the engineering problems in creating one if you aren't also shooting for the high end? Custom-wound inductors themselves are quite a big statement, when a LR phono stage can be done with standard components off the shelf. Have you had a crack at one yourself?
    Regardless of the sonic benefits, or otherwise of using LCR networks to achieve RIAA equalisation, the fact that in order to reproduce the playback curve to a sufficient degree of accuracy (within 0.5dB at least) means not only do the components not have 'standard' values, but they have to be made to a high tolerance. This will automatically make any equalisation circuits employing inductors expensive. This problem is compounded in that the two channels must track one another, again to within 0.2dB or better.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast