+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Marantz CD-94, Philips CD-960 or similar CDM-1 CDP or transport

montesquieu Guest

Default Wanted: Marantz CD-94, Philips CD-960 or similar CDM-1 CDP or transport

Anyone got a CDM-1 CD or transport stashed away for a rainy day that they could be persuaded to part with - I have a wee project brewing that needs one.

Happy to give first dibs to the seller should I ever be moving it on.

I'm Martin.

If you get really stuck you may like to see if merlinboat on ebay has one. He restores early cd players based on that mech. I sold him a vintage Philips player when we couldnt repair it.

He regularly has players for sale and must have CDM-1s about. I had one out on a bench and its a lovely mechanism. Its what you are prepared to pay as Philips CD104s turn up at a reasonably low price for spares and repairs.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    If you get really stuck you may like to see if merlinboat on ebay has one. He restores early cd players based on that mech. I sold him a vintage Philips player when we couldnt repair it.

He regularly has players for sale and must have CDM-1s about. I had one out on a bench and its a lovely mechanism. Its what you are prepared to pay as Philips CD104s turn up at a reasonably low price for spares and repairs.
    Will check them out, thanks.

montesquieu Guest

Bumping this on the off-chance, I was reminded to today to do it.

It really needs to be something not previously modded, according to my modding guru who is looking at this. (Just makes sure previous mods haven't done anything destructive to what he needs access to).

BTW I contacted merlinboat on ebay, the 104 won't do the job as the model I need has to have SPDIF out and a lot of the early CDM-0 and CDM-1 players didn't.

I'm Lawrence.

I think the issue is it's not easy (maybe impossible) to get a digital from the TDA1540 so anything with a TDA1541 would do, assuming he can get the digital out of the chip directly if needed?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I think the issue is it's not easy (maybe impossible) to get a digital from the TDA1540 so anything with a TDA1541 would do, assuming he can get the digital out of the chip directly if needed?
    I haven't heard of anyone managing to get digital out of those first generation machines.

Not quite anything with a TDA1541 as it was still in use in the CDM-4 era, and it's really a CDM-1 I'm after.

Not sure the list below is 100% inclusive but I'm probably after one of the machines here (unless people know any different, which being here of course, they may well do):

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CD1
    ELITE ELECTRONICS Jx2
    MARANTZ CD-12
    MARANTZ CD-94 (MKI)
    MARANTZ CD-95
    MARANTZ CD-95DR
    MARANTZ CD-99DR
    MARANTZ CD-99SE
    MARANTZ CD-99SE Limited
    MICRO CD-M2
    MICRO CD-M100
    MICRO CD-M2000X
    PHILIPS CD304 Mk II
    PHILIPS CD960
    PHILIPS LHH1000
    REVOX B 226
    REVOX B 226 Mk II / Signature
    SPECTRAL SDR-1000
    STUDER A727
    WADIA WT3200

I'm Lawrence.

Sorry I meant anything with a TDA1541and the mech you want, whether it not it has a digital out as it could be taken from the dac chip if you have a (digitally) competent engineer.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Sorry I meant anything with a TDA1541and the mech you want, whether it not it has a digital out as it could be taken from the dac chip if you have a (digitally) competent engineer.
    Good point - I must admit I'm a rookie in this area, I was very late into CD and have no memory of any of these old machines, I was 100% sure CD wouldn't catch on, so I hung onto my vinyl and argued the toss like grim death. I did reluctantly buy a Denon CDP in the late 80s but really only started buying CDs in any quantity in the mid-90s (after filling my boots with vinyl from all the chumps that got rid of it).

I'm James.

I did post some suggestions on your original thread here.......
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-arm-mechanism

The Marantz CD 84 has been re-listed and is still available.....
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122973204...m=122973204763

and the CD 85 is still available but a bit pricey I suppose......
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARANTZ-C...0AAOSwrP9Z29GN

Jim

I'm James.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast