+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just arrived .. Ikeda 9C III

montesquieu Guest

Default Just arrived .. Ikeda 9C III (sort of Decca on steroids)

Cantilever-less design with a nod to the Deccas .. though moving coil and hand built by Ikeda personally

Took a bit of setting up ... has some similarities to the Decca in terms of 'realness', 'vividness', 'energy' .. seems to have impressive transparency as well and a great back to front sense of space. I like it. Quite different presentation to the SPU Royal (big and bold) and the Miyajima Madake (harmonically rich). Similar levels of detail in all but quite a different way of presenting it.

Quite different in design and sound to the current Ikeda 9TT that I had (which had a short but relatively normal cantilever - as does the Fidelity Research MC-702 I currently have on loan, which is much closer to the current Ikeda).

Last edited by montesquieu; 01-03-2018 at 16:35.

I'm Adrian.

I've often thought about trying one of these. Just need a Glanz arm for it ....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

montesquieu Guest

From the design documentation

No cantilever just a curved bridge that is directly connected to the pole pieces.

35.5g on the scales ... heavier than any of my SPUs.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 01-03-2018 at 16:52.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I believe Rowland Research 'badged' and distributed this cartridge in the US, during the '80s.

...has some similarities to the Decca in terms of 'realness', 'vividness', 'energy' .. seems to have impressive transparency as well and a great back to front sense of space. I like it. Quite different presentation to the SPU Royal (big and bold) and the Miyajima Madake (harmonically rich). Similar levels of detail in all but quite a different way of presenting it.

Quite different in design and sound to the current Ikeda 9TT that I had (which had a short but relatively normal cantilever - as does the Fidelity Research MC-702 I currently have on loan, which is much closer to the current Ikeda).
    Umm - sounds ideal; I shall be following your findings with great interest.
    Barry

I'm Keith.

So Tom,
    If you had to nominate one cartridge to "rule them all", which would it be???????
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    So Tom,
    If you had to nominate one cartridge to "rule them all", which would it be???????
    Lol ... the Ikeda is shaping up well but far too early to make a judgment. I've already noticed that it's less forgiving of less than pristine vinyl than, say, your average SPU. It has a strange characeristic of appearing 'loud' from any starting volume level (just as a live string quartet or Lieder recital does) - really grabs attention. It also captures fine expression very well indeed. All characteristics of Deccas too but this feels less flat to me - properly 'walk-in' 3D.

Current favourite remains the Miyajima Madake. It has a similar quiet but all-round expert quality to the Audio Note Io2 I had for a couple of years (used with an AN-S6c all-silver step-up), but in my setup, more musical, expressive; also tonally rich and deep, solid bass without overdoing it, and an unforced, silvery quality to the treble.

But I still enjoy what SPUs do too and indeed one of my favourite cartridges of all time is an SPU 95th anniversary that I don't own (Petrat brought his round) - that felt as close to perfection as vinyl can do. Hard to imagine being without an SPU and the 95th anniversary is definitely on the list.

This Ikeda is another dimension again. I can't be bothered with hyper-real/hyper detailed cartridges, they have to move me, not impress me, and the Ikeda certainly does that.

Though interestingly on one level all of these cartridges sound surprisingly similar despite their differing approaches, like they are converging on a point.

Noting also so far that I'm using it on an 'unimproved' AT1010 (awaiting modding by Angus). My Ikeda IT-345 CR1 is off for service (and so, briefly - just to have the arm lift re-filled - is the Ortofon RMG-309 Limited). With a better arm I'm sure this will give me even more. Can't wait till the Ikeda arm comes back ... I read recently - by Jonathan Carr, the guy behind Lyra, who apprenticed with Ikeda - that this is the master's favourite of the arms he created- the design dates from the same era as this cartridge and they are surely intended to be used together.

I'm David.

Looks very interesting, unusually for me I'm suffering from a touch of cartridge envy! I look forward to reading how it improves in the Ikeda arm,

David Whistance

I'm Robert.

Nice one Tom, another interesting piece there I'd never heard of.

Like the way you indulge and try all kinds of stuf - great !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Keith.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Tom. I really quite fancy an SPU A95 but I would think almost impossible to find now due to the limited run and people wanting to hold onto them. Having said that the Centenary SPU is due ( if they are doing one?) So there might be some movement on the second hand market.
    I run a Shilabe and your views on the Madake interest me. Next move might be a Royal N in my Arche headshell though given the current price of Miyajimas.
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Nice one Tom, another interesting piece there I'd never heard of.

Like the way you indulge and try all kinds of stuf - great !
    what's the proverb ... something like 'curiosity emptied the wallet' (or something)

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply Tom. I really quite fancy an SPU A95 but I would think almost impossible to find now due to the limited run and people wanting to hold onto them. Having said that the Centenary SPU is due ( if they are doing one?) So there might be some movement on the second hand market.
    I run a Shilabe and your views on the Madake interest me. Next move might be a Royal N in my Arche headshell though given the current price of Miyajimas.
    I certainly hope they do a centenary SPU .. I've seen the odd 90th anniversary for sale . that will be interesting.

Just looked up the Arche headshell .. hmmm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast