+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revox B77

I'm notAlone.

So, how is the B77, Jon ?

I've seen you've changed your avater, so I was wondering what were your impressions on this nice piece of equipment...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Wish I still had a use for one.. I had two hi-speed B77's in my times and both were excellent. A mate used his semi-professionally and it had a good few hours under its reels and well flattened heads and guides too. Still sounded good.

Sadly, I sold my last one, a mk2 and the friend who bought it had all the tapes as well. if i were ever to get another high-speed reel to reel, it would be a Ferrograph Logic 7 I think.

Enjoy your B77. Great fun
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Imjustsurviving.

I have had a bit of a play this week after discovering that i didn't have its power lead, this has now been forwarded on and we're up and running, it's all a bit of a learning curve at the moment as i had a box of tapes given to me with all sorts of strange stuff on them, i have discovered a few that were taped at 15 ips which mine isn't and a few 4 track which mine also isn't, but a few were ok but appear not to take any new recordings then i discovered a nice Maxell tape that had a 4 track recording on it that was of high quility, so this has now been re- recorded from a cd and the results are very good, i'm very impressed with the quility and certainly adds that anologue sound to mix, its early days yet but so far it's all good, as for the machine it is mint and i confirmed with the seller about the fact it had only done about 10 hours work this is proven by the lack of oxidising on the heads and the general appearance and lack of wear on all the parts.

As i have said it's a learning curve and have discussed with a mate who knows a lot about these machines the merits of 2 track as appossed to 4 resulting in more surface area to record on, giving a better recording, i just love those anologue meters, i would like to get some pre recorded stuff to see what the quility is like over home recorded stuff.
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Shane.

My greatest joy with my old A77 was live recording, although I only managed a couple of efforts. I recorded a local choral society singing Faure's Requiem in a local church using a simple crossed pair of moderately priced Sony electret mics, and although the performance wasn't that brilliant, the sound stage, ambience and general "being there" quality of the result was astonishing. This was in the 70's so I can only guess at the current cost of equivalent mics, but I'd be surprised if modern equivalents would be more than £100 or so. Definitely worth a try.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Wish I still had a use for one.. I had two hi-speed B77's in my times and both were excellent. A mate used his semi-professionally and it had a good few hours under its reels and well flattened heads and guides too. Still sounded good.

Sadly, I sold my last one, a mk2 and the friend who bought it had all the tapes as well. if i were ever to get another high-speed reel to reel, it would be a Ferrograph Logic 7 I think.

Enjoy your B77. Great fun
    Nice Dave...I loved the old Sony 'TC-755'..I was one knob selling mine, i really was. I do have a very big fettish for the little Sony 'TC-377' always thought they were great little machines, so great i just bought another one . I have more use for a 7'' machine than a 10.5' tbh...I refuse to buy a bigger machine for bragging sake.

I'm Nick.

Recordings I've made on my 377 sound surprisingly good on my 707 and TD20A. The Sony is a better machine than lots give it credit for, and I'd venture to say that record is better than playback... They are nice, pre-logic control machines and for the kind of prices they get, a bargain.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm notAlone.

Jon, perhaps you could do some copy from another RtR tape, with the help of another RtR fan here ?
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Now theres a thought, i have this Akai 4000ds at the moment

I have just got to buy some tapes to make it happen, not sure what it will prove though
    Jon

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    Now theres a thought, i have this Akai 4000ds at the moment

I have just got to buy some tapes to make it happen, not sure what it will prove though
    The Akai '4000' are dull & lack a bit of Bass compared to the Sony '377'

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The Akai '4000' are dull & lack a bit of Bass compared to the Sony '377'
    Its a good job that it's borrowed than, it has a recording of the chart countdown circa 1983 running on it, my era
    Jon

Set up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast