+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring the missing bass

I'm Graham.

Default Restoring the missing bass

I read a thread here recently about speaker alignment and the pros' and cons' of stands v floormounts v shelf standing v hanging, in which Marco (I think, forgive me if I'm wrong) suggested that tilting speakers up slightly at the front could improve things. I have been frustrated by what I can only presume has been a standing wave effect in that the bass response is much better off-axis than if I sit in the centre between the two stand-mounted Wharfdale Diamond 9.1's. So, I angled the front of the speakers slightly upwards by placing a small wooden block about 25mm high (1 inch in old money) just under the front of the cabinets. See photo.

The result is astonishing. All of the "missing" low down bass is now there. I'm still chuckling.

GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I read a thread here recently about speaker alignment and the pros' and cons' of stands v floormounts v shelf standing v hanging, in which Marco (I think, forgive me if I'm wrong) suggested that tilting speakers up slightly at the front could improve things. I have been frustrated by what I can only presume has been a standing wave effect in that the bass response is much better off-axis than if I sit in the centre between the two stand-mounted Wharfdale Diamond 9.1's. So, I angled the front of the speakers slightly upwards by placing a small wooden block about 25mm high (1 inch in old money) just under the front of the cabinets. See photo.

The result is astonishing. All of the "missing" low down bass is now there. I'm still chuckling.

Isn't that a bourbon biscuit?

I'm Graham.

No, it's a little wooden plinth that came with one of my Best Beloved's ceramic ornaments. Definitely not edible.....
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Geoff.

Doesn't look very stable. Wouldn't something like one of these work better? In a pair that is!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...wxukgxtc_e_p28

Geoff

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Doesn't look very stable. Wouldn't something like one of these work better? In a pair that is!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...wxukgxtc_e_p28
    Geoff
    Good idea Geoff. Now why didn't I think of that? Probably because I can't get down to B&Q - the car is snowed in. As soon as I can, I'll replace the wooden blocks with the widest door wedges I can find. I am using anti-slip matting between the base of the speaker and the top of the stand and the wooden block now, to prevent the speaker slipping off. But you are correct, it's not that stable.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Good idea Geoff. Now why didn't I think of that? Probably because I can't get down to B&Q - the car is snowed in. As soon as I can, I'll replace the wooden blocks with the widest door wedges I can find. I am using anti-slip matting between the base of the speaker and the top of the stand and the wooden block now, to prevent the speaker slipping off. But you are correct, it's not that stable.
    I'd stay at home and try these! At £2 it's not worth the petrol costs!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...67KON35N&psc=1

Geoff

I'm Graham.

Done. Thanks Geoff.

I'm Geoff.

I'm guessing that you might need to use some blutac and/or double sided tape, but this should give you a much more secure platform.

Geoff

I'm Rob.

Could it be that the instability is aiding the transmission of the lower bass......Cat amongst the pigeons
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I'm guessing that you might need to use some blutac and/or double sided tape, but this should give you a much more secure platform.

Geoff
    Double sided carpet tape in use already, and I have lots of the stuff!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast