+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought an SL-1210MK2 on Gumtree - need some pointers?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I've no idea, but I did scroll down quite a lot! Good page - lots of info there, I met Arthur from Funk on Saturday, really nice guy.

Thanks Al.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I've no idea, but I did scroll down quite a lot!
    Me too... If only we were blessed with the ability to mind read, eh?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Your MP11, though, is sonically superior to the current MP110. They're not the same animal. Marco.
    The MP110 is the new MP11 so it should be the same or maybe even marginally better. You can fit an MP110 stylus to the MP11. I upgraded from that to an MP50 with MP500 stylus which is the one you have heard on my deck.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

I had the Technoarm on my 1210 and didn't like it very much (just my opinion). It may well have been the cartridge, an Ortofon Rohman I think. But, good luck with your project.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Haha, anymore Rega fans out there . . .

Well I have it already and I'm not changing it unless I really hate it - don't forget guys, I have nothing to compare it with so am likely to be a lot less fussy

I just want to play some records and have a bit of fun, as I have nowt at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The MP110 is the new MP11 so it should be the same or maybe even marginally better.
    Yes, you'd think so. Sadly, however, it's rarely the case these days, as cost cutting in production, thus quality suffering, is often the reality, making older versions of the same cartridge often the best. I could cite numerous examples of this.

However, your point on being able to upgrade the stylus is a good one. Of course, that can also be done with the Stanton - detachable styli is one of the fun aspects of MM designs!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Rich B has/had a Rega arm on his SL1210 and it sounded mint. So I don't think you have much to worry about.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    ... don't forget guys, I have nothing to compare it with so am likely to be a lot less fussy

I just want to play some records and have a bit of fun, as I have nowt at the moment.
    Yeah, I think that's a good and valid point, and one which will almost certainly result in you enjoying what you hear when you put the whole shebang together. Worry about changing arms *much* later, if at all!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Exactamundo Marco - I'm not a critical listener like you guys are, I just enjoy the music and the lyrics, that's the most important thing for me when I listen to music (except Jazz), the lyrics.

Having said that, good thing to have in the back of my mind too if it piques my interest, I can always go forward and knowledge is power.

Baby steps, so go easy on the newbie

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, you'd think so. Sadly, however, it's rarely the case these days, as cost cutting in production, thus quality suffering, is often the reality, making older versions of the same cartridge often the best. I could cite numerous examples of this.

However, your point on being able to upgrade the stylus is a good one. Of course, that can also be done with the Stanton - detachable styli is one of the fun aspects of MM designs!

Marco.
    I've not compared the old range with the new range but you may be right. It was a lot cheaper to buy a used MP50 and fit a new MP500 stylus than to buy a new MP500 cartridge plus stylus so that's what I did.

Tim, I could post you over a Stanton 681EEE for you to have a go with if you like? It maybe has 50 hours on it tops so it should be working fine. The Achromat is a good choice, that is what I settled on after trying a cork/butyl, Technics felt, Technics rubber and that one with the little nodules sticking up (can't remember what that is called). The Achromat is the only one that actually improved the sound rather than just changed it.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast