+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Just bought an SL-1210MK2 on Gumtree - need some pointers?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Ooo look at that Andrew post number 7,000

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. Rega arms and their derivatives like the Tecnoarm are not great on a Techie.

I disagree
    Regards Neil

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Ooo look at that Andrew post number 7,000

Didn't notice. Ahh well here's to another 7000 potentially equally crappy posts!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Going on further from the below, at this stage not too sure how far I want to take it, just want to play my records from the 70s & 80s and quite a few I have been buying at gigs, since they started popping up on merch tables again - that's where they mostly come from now, signed by the artist.

Unashamedly though, it's a good part of the reason I bought a 1210, knowing the wealth of experience here and the willingness to help noobs like me along, it is very much appreciated. As an aside, I also love what you do Andrew and always check out your 'project' threads, very inspirational

Going back on topic, the honest answer is that at this point I don't know how far I want to take it, but I do feel the bearing is something that could be high up the list of improvements, after I have taken care of the basics like taking out the transformer and upgrading the mat and feet. I really like what IanMac has done, so have PM'd him, but that may never come to anything as he may not be in a position to offer any more. If I start feeling really adventurous, I wouldn't mind having a stab at what Ken (Qwin) has done either.

But firstly I'll take care of the cosmetics, then get it reassembling and running, going to be away for awhile though, so it's on hold and in a hundred pieces right now. I'm not going to go mad right out of the blocks, until I'm sure it's going to get used enough to warrant further investment.

So thanks a bunch Andrew, you might regret that offer when the PM's start to fly!

Ha ha, not mad about The Smiths meeself
    Last edited by Tim; 05-03-2018 at 21:12.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Dave.

Hi,

I have a 1210 that I have been messing about with. So far I have added Technoboots, an OL cork mat, a OL armboard along with a rewired Rega RB250 tonearm fitted with a RB300 counterweight and stub, and a Audio Technica at440mlb cartridge. I am pleased with the way that the sound had developed from the original 1210 setup. The Rega arm was an exciting addition. I am also looking at an external power supply and a spindle upgrade.

Currently the direction I am going is adding a couple of secondhand Rotel power amps. I want to give bi-amping a try, I want to fill the room with sound. But I imagine my greatest deficit are the soft furnishings and not great positioning in the family room.

I enjoy The Smiths!

I'm Simon.

A good cheap tip with regards to the platter is to fill the underside with Blu Tack. It's a great way to minimise ringing. Add on a new platter mat such as this one - https://www.juno.co.uk/products/naga...mat/567542-01/ and you have a cheaper alternative to investing in a new platter. Also I like the look of the original
    Simon.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    A good cheap tip with regards to the platter is to fill the underside with Blu Tack. It's a great way to minimise ringing. Add on a new platter mat such as this one - https://www.juno.co.uk/products/naga...mat/567542-01/ and you have a cheaper alternative to investing in a new platter. Also I like the look of the original
    Yes and by adding blutack you will unbalance a perfectly balanced platter. Not a very good idea. Now the crystal turntable mat is an extremely good idea and happens to be what I use as my Reference mat on my 1210.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yes and by adding blutack you will unbalance a perfectly balanced platter
    Exactly!

I'm phil.

I've just brought the analogue studio crystal glass mat but as I still have the original platter what would you suggest to put under it, as it sits on the outer rim. Thanks in advance
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by moodybuilder View Post
    I've just brought the analogue studio crystal glass mat but as I still have the original platter what would you suggest to put under it, as it sits on the outer rim. Thanks in advance
    Nothing! It works perfectly ok just sitting on top of the platter. Why not experiment? Remember to change your VTA to accomodate the Crystal mats extra depth.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast