+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maplins in trouble

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think they were called Radio Shack in America and their own-brand stuff was called Radio Shack in both America and the UK, but in the UK the shops were called Tandy.
    Tandy Corporation was the US parent company and had many different businesses. When it expanded beyond the US it did so under the Tandy name. Although most of the products were branded Radioshack, don't forget the Tandy range of personal computers which were very popular at one point.

Geoff

I'm Ian.

Unhappy Used to be more Mail order with just a few shops

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that Maplin were more of a mail order company in the past with just a few shops.

I think that they should have stayed that way and gone more on-line.
    The prices used to be far more competitive and they seemed to have a good formula to replace the defunct Tandy.
    Last year I went into a shop in Taunton and a member of staff told me that they did not sell things like speaker plugs and sockets.
    I just walked out at that point.

Mind you there is still Radio Spares.

Perhaps, if Maplin go back to how they were with a competitive on-line presence they could have a future.
    It seems ironic that Maplin increased its shop base at just the wrong moment.
    I suppose that there was pressure to increase profit and in the short term the strategy probably worked while making their long term future harder.

I'm Martin.

Surprise surpise in your best Cilla voice as its not really a surprise to me.

I havent bought from them for ages and the range has been going downhill to the point where I dont think they know other than a tat shop where the prices are not low. Sort of a mix of cheap looking disco lights, indoor aerials for caravans and stuff that can be bettered elsewhere

Ok many moons ago I use to buy connectors and things but I can online now and buy Neutrik, Deltron and all the best stuff. Dad orders from RS and Farnells when he is serious.

To me is was getting like some of the shite you saw in Tandy (Tandy wasnt all bad however) and you had to look harder for anything of real value and quality. I would say that I am surprised Maplins have lasted this long. Theres only so many local students needing breadboards
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 02-03-2018 at 16:05.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think they were called Radio Shack in America and their own-brand stuff was called Radio Shack in both America and the UK, but in the UK the shops were called Tandy.
    A lot of their stuff was branded Realistic, I was given a mid priced tuner-amp with this name on, was pretty good.
    Spendorman

I'm Rob.

Maplin abandoned the hobbyist in favour of Computer, Radio Controlled Cars, toys and other diverse stuff. Stuff that could be obtained cheaper elsewhere. If I was desperate for a part I would check the local store stock, say for a few generic transistors (BC 550 etc) and they would have 1.....1!ffs. When they were prob charging a 200% mark up on the buy in price would it really have been too much to have say 10 in stock at any one time?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm paul.

I wonder if moving to large retail units with big overheads was a mistake, the times I've been in the large stores they have been empty of customers, whereas the small shop they had been in for years in medway had steady trade and the staff knew their stuff. Greedy shareholders thinking they can make more money in a large store.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Greedy shareholders thinking they can make more money in a large store.
    . Stupidity comes in many guises.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Martin.

Trying to expand your business to make more money isn't greedy, it's the single objective of any business.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Trying to expand your business to make more money isn't greedy, it's the single objective of any business.
    We will have to disagree in this instance
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    We will have to disagree in this instance
    There's another purpose to a business other than to make money? You've lost me there Paul.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast