+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Maplins in trouble

I'm Grant.

Default Maplins in trouble

There isn't an obligation in business to chase the buck. It can be to give employment. Service to community. Give the owner and staff a living etc. Lots of companies reach this and just practice getting better rather than bigger
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    There isn't an obligation in business to chase the buck. It can be to give employment. Service to community. Give the owner and staff a living etc. Lots of companies reach this and just practice getting better rather than bigger
    Well we are maybe going a bit o/t here but I see employment and service as welcome side-effects of successful business, not the point of it. if the business is not successful none of those things can happen. I'd argue that business creates society rather than the other way around. But you are right, the business does not have to keep getting bigger to be a success. It does have to make the right decisions about the future though, and sometimes that means getting bigger/changing, or going broke.

In Maplin's case they either made the wrong decision about direction or didn't implement it well enough. Ascribing it to 'greed' seems to be an emotional response based on an idea that business is somehow an intrinsically bad thing or at best a necessary evil we could potentially do without. I don't subscribe to that point of view at all.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    There isn't an obligation in business to chase the buck.
    Indeed. As a successful businessman myself, I think I'm qualified to comment on this.

"Chasing the Buck" (as a concept) is fine, but it depends on the type of business involved, and whether gross expansion (scaling up) is advantageous to the business model. Plus, more importantly, it has to be done RIGHT, and that means not simply being bigger, but also BETTER.

Yes, maximising profitability is what any successful business is about, but that won't happen, no matter how much the company concerned expands, *if* they lose sight of their core identity (the niche in the market and type of customer that the business was designed to target, and was created for, in the first place).

The *key* thing for ANY business, is understanding the needs of your target market, and then knowing how best to service those needs, by selling the right products. Only THEN will it be profitable! And in that respect, bigger isn't necessarily better.

The fact that Maplins got that so badly wrong, in the end (by taking the company in the wrong direction), is undoubtedly why they've sadly now gone under.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, maximising profitability is what any successful business is about, but that won't happen, no matter how much the company concerned expands, *if* they lose sight of their core identity (the niche in the market and type of customer that the business was designed to target, and was created for, in the first place). Marco.
    Which is precisely what happened to Maplin.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Martin.

I often wondered about them. I wondered how the core identity would support all those shops some of which seemed to be in semi prime locations. I think they have been fighting a losing battle for a long time and other internet suppliers must have been the final nail in the coffin. I dont think they knew how to adapt fast enough or in the right way. Who actually needs them apart from electronic project hobbyists? A fairly knowledgeable sector that can see other sources for what they need

I have wandered in for phono plugs and small bits and bobs but Im talking twenty plus years ago. I went in with dad many years ago but there was nothing of interest as I was browsing while dad was buying some urgently needed components. The key is urgently needed or I dont think he would have bothered with them.

Ive only ever been interested in their small components as its never been a place where I would buy a clock radio, amp, car alarm or anything larger than a phono plug.

I feel for people who dont have a job now but I dont miss Maplins in the same way I dont miss BHS or Toys R Us.

The internet has covered my needs since 2007 and Maplins didnt even feature in my search process
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 05-03-2018 at 23:02.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Probably not the brightest thing I've ever done, but I just placed an online order with Maplin for parts to externalise the PSU for my 1210. It went through, I have an order number, confirmation email and an estimated delivery date!

We shall see . . .

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

May well be still working while in admin. Especially online side which is most likely to be profitable
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Probably not the brightest thing I've ever done, but I just placed an online order with Maplin for parts to externalise the PSU for my 1210. It went through, I have an order number, confirmation email and an estimated delivery date!

We shall see . . .

You like to live dangerously! Aside from the fact that any faulty parts will probably not be returnable and that no warranty will apply, bear in mind that yur order will be packed by staff who probably are not highly motivated and may harbour resentment for the company! It's like ordering food in a restaurant when you have just insulted the waiter!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Yup, can't argue with any of that Geoff and I did ponder before ordering. But it's only a plastic component box, some nuts and bolts and pack of heat shrink, total order under 15 quid, so if it's goes tits up I'll have to write it off.

Bit like watching a car crash I guess, you know you shouldn't but you just can't help yourself.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well fair play to Maplin, everything I ordered arrived as promised, on the day stated and well packed. Not sure I'd do it again, but they are still (just) trading. Doubt they will be saved though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast