+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon DL 103 Pro

I'm jamie.

as marco has said in the past,you need the right arm for the denon to get the best from it,i use a 16 gram effective mass tonearm,on paper it should be fine but to get it singing i still had to add 3.5 grams of mass at the headshell.
    i tried different weights,with 8 grams it sounded good but the bass was bloated and the top end rolled off, 3 grams seems to balance everything just right.

once you have this its bloody marvelous,it really is the best musical cartridge ive owned to date,its stopped me wanted to chase micro detail and fancy tipped cartridges.
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers ,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,Pioneer PA-5000,Alphason HR-100S-MCS,Zeta tonearms,Denon 103SA Cartridge's,Denon HA-500 Head Amp, John Wood KT88 Valve Amp,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    You got me salivating. But since I have Rega RB300 tonearm, would Denon Pro be an acceptable fit for that arm, or is it again the same struggle as with DL-103?
    Canít really say if this cartridge is arm dependent? Mines being played on the Dynavector 507 Mk II ,??
    I think this may work on any arm!! But canít confirm, unless others are more knowledgeable than I .

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    as marco has said in the past,you need the right arm for the denon to get the best from it...
    And unfortunately for Alex (who asked earlier), an RB300 isn't it...

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Should be OK with a headshell weight, no? Say 5g or so, to boost eff. mass to about 16g?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No, unfortunately there's more to it than just the mass factor. The design of the Rega arm itself isn't best suited to the 103, which prefers a 'lossy' style of arm (typical Jap style with detachable headshell), due to the amount of energy it puts into it.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Geoff.

I have never obtained a sound I've been entirely happy with using an MC in a Rega arm. Even with added headshell mass.

It's a different story with MM's, that seems to work well enough.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have never obtained a sound I've been entirely happy with using an MC in a Rega arm. Even with added headshell mass.

It's a different story with MM's, that seems to work well enough.
    Totally agree with this.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Well, considering how much over the moon I am right now with my DL-103, to learn that a more suitable tonearm can make things even better makes me super excited.

So back to my previous question (in another thread): now that I've tackled some of the weak spots on my Systemdek IIX (removed the bottom platter, applied dynamat dampening to the inner sides of plinth and on parts of the meta chassis), should my next upgrade then be the tonearm? Is that now the biggest bang for the buck? Rather than chasing after another cartridge, or another phono preamp, is the most reasonable step replacing Rega RB300 with Jelco arm, for example?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Well, considering how much over the moon I am right now with my DL-103, to learn that a more suitable tonearm can make things even better makes me super excited.

So back to my previous question (in another thread): now that I've tackled some of the weak spots on my Systemdek IIX (removed the bottom platter, applied dynamat dampening to the inner sides of plinth and on parts of the meta chassis), should my next upgrade then be the tonearm? Is that now the biggest bang for the buck? Rather than chasing after another cartridge, or another phono preamp, is the most reasonable step replacing Rega RB300 with Jelco arm, for example?
    Yes indeed... go for the best arm you can afford. ďThere are manyĒ, favourites that others can advise. Then.... it limits you to nothing.

Happy days.

Peter

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Yes indeed... go for the best arm you can afford. “There are many”, favourites that others can advise. Then.... it limits you to nothing.

Happy days.

Peter

This one would be within my budget:

https://www.canadianhifi.com/product...750d-9-tonearm

Not sure if 9" is appropriate length for my Systemdek?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast