+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Denon DL 103 Pro

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    To my knowledge, the only two serious complaints about DL-103 are spherical stylus and plastic body.
    no complaints from me at all,i have used a 2m black, a decca c4e with a extended line contact tip,and lastly before the denon a cadenza black,i dont hand on heart miss any off them compared to the 103sa.and the beautiful thing is because of the spherical tip you dont have to sod about for hrs messing with the SRA angle!

the trick is listening to people who know what they are talking about regarding the 103 and following there recommendations if i was in your shoes id be concentrating on getting a better matched arm rather than fancy bodies.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    no complaints from me at all,i have used a 2m black, a decca c4e with a extended line contact tip,and lastly before the denon a cadenza black,i dont hand on heart miss any off them compared to the 103sa.and the beautiful thing is because of the spherical tip you dont have to sod about for hrs messing with the SRA angle!

the trick is listening to people who know what they are talking about regarding the 103 and following there recommendations if i was in your shoes id be concentrating on getting a better matched arm rather than fancy bodies.
    The 103sa has an improved body already.

I'm jamie.

yes i know lucky me
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    yes i know lucky me
    I’m not too sure if you guys think your better than the original designers?

Why change something that works?

If the Highphonic guys thought an aluminium body would be the bees knees.... why didn’t they supply the said item?

Confused!!! Or perhaps is something to do with an end price point.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post

If the Highphonic guys thought an aluminium body would be the bees knees.... why didn’t they supply the said item?

i dont,mine is totally bog standard,denon themselves put it in a different body lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alex.

Could be the end price point. Manufacturers face stiff competition, and as much as they'd love to offer highest possible quality, they gotta stop at a certain point. Else they'd price themselves out of the market.

That's why we're seeing a lot of aftermarket activities. It stands to reason that DL-103 engineers didn't really come to the conclusion: "Yep, plastic body is definitely the best possible body for this type of cartridge." No, they probably thought "if we now add high quality body, we'd have to jack up the price and would therefore lose significant portion of the market."

But people in the know tried to improve and have managed to get to the point where the cartridge does sound even better than the vanilla one does.

Another similar 'half baked' product are the Magnepan speakers (Maggies). They are fantastic speakers that ship out of the factory in a sub-standard body (MDF). Magnepan realized that if they went all the way and incorporated high quality hardwood body, they'd have to charge much more and would therefore lose portion of their potential market. So the aftermarket kicked in and many people replaced MDF with hardwood body, thus lifting this already magnificent speaker to even higher levels of performance.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

montesquieu Guest

I wouldn't call Highphonic 'designers' they are modding someone else's product - to good effect I'm sure but if their expertise is in modifying the coils, they wouldn't necessarily change the body as well.

I had one of their SUT's once it was quite good.

I'm Peter.

Thanks guys, an interesting concept. As I’m using the Denon Pro on a daily basis,,, I’m very happy with the sound output and modification is not necessary. (Or it would be a different experience)

However, we all have our own concept on what we like.... I guess that’s what it’s all about!!!

I'm Steve.

The musicality of the DL103-R is why I snapped up a used Zu Audio DL103-R a couple of years back https://www.zuaudio.com/turntable/zudl-103.

+1 for the DL103 in all its forms.

Steve

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I've just received a DL103R, rebuilt into a rosewood body and a new sapphire cantilever with a fine line tip on loan to try out.

Was just wondering if anyone on here has had something similar?
    Looking forward to listening to it, not sure if it will be a happy match but hopefully it will.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast