+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon DL 103 Pro

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Not the best description I’ve ever heard of the Denon...... but lovely !!!!

Thank you !!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i guess a vision of a dogs dangly parts are nothing like your set up but it's not meant to be a description
    I like the pics of your Denon and mine in the same post, very tasty even if I say so myself
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Never want to recommend where I may me wrong ... sorry Alex.

This is what my Denon Pro is currently playing on ...

Jesus, for a moment I thought it's the Terminator! (http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm)
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Jesus, for a moment I thought it's the Terminator! (http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm)
    Or...... a Car Jack !!!! That plays music !

FWIW I had a 103Pro for some time about 10 years ago, bought direct from Juki2 but it never sounded special in my Ittok LVIII but then neither did a 304 either. In fact it wasn´t till I ditched my Black Cube SE and then my Linto and I switched to a valve phono with its obscenely OTT power supply that anything sounded special. I now use a Troika retip and my recently retipped but ancient A&RP77 which gives it a run for its money. Oh dear, wasted youth where art thou ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alex,

Here is the dilemma I'm faced with right now: should I upgrade to Jelco SA-750D tonearm or to Denon DL-103 Pro? The prices are similar, I'm just not sure which upgrade will give me more bang for the buck (don't have the funds for both at this time).
    Sorry I'm late to this... I know both items intimately well, so feel I could sensibly advise. Before I do that, however, could you remind me again of your current T/T (I know you've got an RB300), cartridge, amp and/or phono stage?

Ta!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm My.

I've got the Jelco, had a 103, 130LCII and 301 MK2 and they were all excellent with it. The arm is so universally suitable (!), With the ability to change headshells to suit the cartridge, allowing you to get the effective mass dead on. Where it isn't possible to nail the synergy between the two components, the damping can be played with too.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Alex,

Sorry I'm late to this... I know both items intimately well, so feel I could sensibly advise. Before I do that, however, could you remind me again of your current T/T (I know you've got an RB300), cartridge, amp and/or phono stage?

Ta!

Marco.
    I'm using a modded (refurbished) TT that looks a lot like Systemdek IIX. The guy who sold it to me called in Frankenstein, because he got it on commission from the original tweaker, but he agrees that it is most likely Systemdek IIX. But looks like the plinth has been upgraded, as well as the top part and the platter.

I've removed the bottom plate and dampened it with Dynamat.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ok, and what cartridge, amp and/or phono stage have you currently got?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ok, and what cartridge, amp and/or phono stage have you currently got?

Marco.
    Denon DL-103, Denon AU-310 SUT, Emotiva XPS-1.

Alex.

I'm Steve.

... I'm keen on anything that could improve the already great DL-103 experience
    Alex, have you seen this post for a slip over aluminum body. Great upgrade without having to take your cartridge apart.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...266#post956266

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast