+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the point of speaker stands?

I'm Mike.

Default Whats the point of speaker stands?

I'm talking about for bookshelf speakers, just bought a pair of Spendor s3/5r, only 30cm tall, why can't they just sit on my Ikea Kallax shelf?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

They can. Speaker stands are foo. I've been saying this for years but no-one listens.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Try sticking the Spendors on the floor and see how they sound then...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I'm talking about for bookshelf speakers, just bought a pair of Spendor s3/5r, only 30cm tall, why can't they just sit on my Ikea Kallax shelf?
    I have my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's on stands because I don't have a shelf.....
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Geoff.

Try a pair of stands designed for Linn Kan or LS3/5a speakers. Should be about right.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They can. Speaker stands are foo. I've been saying this for years but no-one listens.
    Lol - bollocks!

Firstly, with most so-called 'bookshelf' speakers, in order to hear them properly, it's vital to have the tweeters at ear height (from the listening position), and the chances of achieving that by placing them on a bookshelf are virtually nil.

Secondly, is the question of isolation from the floor, in order to prevent the cabinets from picking up unwanted external vibrations, which will simply serve to colour the sound the drive units produce, then a properly-designed and well-built pair of stands will successfully address that issue.

Thirdly, you wouldn't like the sound of my Tannoys, placed directly on the floor in my room, in comparison with how they sound on their Mana platforms, because of what I've just outlined above, as even though they're far from being stand-mounted designs, the horn tweeters in the DC drive units benefit massively from being heard at ear level.

In that respect, there's a very distinct sweet spot for optimum listening!

So.... Speaker stands can do a vital job in a hi-fi system, no doubt

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

You need them to get the things at the right height, agreed. A couple of three legged stools will do that. The idea that you need 2 grand (or more) worth of specially designed 'speaker-floor interfaces' is the bit that is bollocks.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    eh? Aren't the vibrations coming from the cabinets in the first place? As for isolation, most stands don't do any isolating at all.
    Yes of course, but you don't want any influence from that also coming from the floor, as it will further muddy the sound. Almost all stand-mounted speakers I've heard, when just plonked onto the floor, sound boomy in the bass, and rather 'one note' and un-tuneful there, with it.

I disagree about isolating (or decoupling for that matter); it all depends on how the stands in question are designed. Good ones, including their equipment support counterparts, help address how detrimental the effects of the surrounding environment can be to sensitive audio equipment.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You need them to get the things at the right height, agreed. A couple of three legged stools will do that. The idea that you need 2 grand (or more) worth of specially designed 'speaker-floor interfaces' is the bit that is bollocks.
    No, you don't need to spend fortunes on such things, that's for sure, but most stands I've used perform more optimally with speakers, from a sonic point of view, than stools.

Marco.
    Main System

Yup, sure - and as you say, so designed they can be very effective! Another product, designed on rather different principles, but equally as effective and sonically beneficial, are those from Mana (though now long discontinued).

However, even a basic pair of speaker stands, as long as they're rigidly constructed, are better than no stands, for use with non-floor standing speakers. Now, ask me about the supplied spikes being supposedly 'mandatory', and you might get another answer

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast