+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sennheiser HD424 new cable?

I'm Svend.

Default Sennheiser HD424 new cable?

I've owned a pair of these since the late '70s I think. Terrific sound, but a bit bass shy and perhaps lacking some "fullness". I'm pondering whether to go through the trouble of making up a new DIY cable for them. They still have the original cable, which is a rather thin and light thing. (For some reason I have it in my mind that the cable might be made of steel?)

Is anyone here familiar with this model, and if so have you upgraded to a new cable? Either rolled your own or aftermarket? Is this worth doing, or is the old one good enough to keep?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Found the answer to my own question here: https://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser...es-comparison/
    Not for the HD-424 specifically, but nonetheless a couple of Sennheiser models were used. It seems their cables are nothing special, and may in fact be rather poor. I will go about making up a nice cable for mine...

I'm Kevin.

Just seen this.
    Most of the Sennheiser cables are not special and are worth changing.
    The hardest part is getting the plugs, but once you have found some good ones there is an overwhelming choice of suitable cables from $ to $$$$$.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Svend.

Thanks Kevin. Yeah, it certainly sounds like it's worth doing. I can get Cardas plugs which should fit the 424s. As for cable, any recommendations for something good but not crazy-expensive? I'm thinking about a single run of Mogami 2893 quad, or possibly two lengths of Gotham GAC-2 twisted pair (one for each channel, braided cover to hold 'em) -- either of these should be fine enough gauge to fit the connectors. I can also get a Furutech 4-cond parallel layup for a reasonable price ($8/m).

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Kevin.

The Mogami should be fine.
    I have cables based on Klotz starquad and Sommer Peacock. Both work better than the original Sennheiser cables.
    Kevin

I'm Svend.

Sounds good Kevin. Will try the Mogami. These phones are quite good, but really not worth spending a lot of money or time on. 1970's technology. A simple cable upgrade should do them good though.

Thanks for the help!

Svend

I'm Svend.

Kevin, I built up the new cable last night, and I must say it sounds much, much better. Fuller, richer sound; lovely midrange; deeper, tighter bass. Highs seem a bit rolled off, but the old cable was so bright and hazy in the top end that I think I just need to get used to this new, more natural sound. In any case that upper end haze and fuzziness is all gone, thank goodness.

I used the Mogami 2893, some Cardas connectors, and a Neutrik 1/4" plug. Nothing fancy, but does the job nicely, and easy enough to work with.

So job done! And well worth it -- gives these lovely old headphones a new lease on life.

Thanks for the advice.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Kevin.

I am glad that you are happy with the result.
    It is amazing what a little cash on a new cable will do for older headphones.
    Kevin

I'm Svend.

Yes, definitely. Total cost was only C$50, and two hours work to put it all together. Transformed the sound of these 'phones. They sound like a totally different, far better pair. I'm very happy with how this turned out.

+ Reply to Thread