+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spendor S3/5R

I'm Mike.

Default Spendor S3/5R

To try to curb the boomy bass in my flat, I've just bought a used pair of these off the bay, my Ruark Talisman were proving too much of a headache, the bass was a bit flabby, and overall the speaker was too big I felt for my flat, though I feel they would have worked in a larger space, I think they are fine speakers. A pair of Royd Minstrels recently acquired off here, suited the room better in terms of their size, but I don't like their screechy treble. I'm hoping the Spendors will prove more suitable. Also just got another old 90s amp (or is it 80s?) - a Sony 630 ESD, don't know whether its a good match for the Spendors, either way I think the best way to organise your system is source /speakers first, then choose your amp. Would the Spendors be more suited to British amps? Am quite flexible at the moment, as just trying out new things.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

Those should be lovely Mike. I doubt you'll get bass boom.

I'm Shaun.

Very interesting as Sue and I have just bought a pair of Spendor S3/5R2's for use in this little cottage we are moving into very soon. Will be used with the Prima Luna pre/power. I am hoping for great things from them along similar lines to my old Rogers LS3/5a's from way back when.

I'm Mike.

The Spendors are too small for my listening room ( my lounge), was gonna put them in the bedroom, but very limited space in there, and all the bother of getting another amp/source. They emphasise vocals, and higher freqs are detailed, you can follow individual instruments well. They do have a slightly flat sound, but I can see why these have a following.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread