+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphic Equaliser for RPi?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

with moode the mixer is blanked out now. Have you ever tried moode 3.7(last version b4 it changed to version4.)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thanks Marco. Had a read but found it a bit confusing. Is that only applicable for I2S DACs? I'm using an external DAC and am sure I usually have all the mixer options turned off but I'll have to have a look in the options again when I boot it up next.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    with moode the mixer is blanked out now. Have you ever tried moode 3.7(last version b4 it changed to version4.)
    Was that question directed at me, mate?

If so, I've not messed with any of the settings for ages, since Duncan last installed everything with alsamixer. I just leave it as it is and enjoy the music, but I do know from times when I've experimented with the settings, that in my system, the PCM level sounds best set at 96%. Anything higher causes audible clipping on music peaks.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Thanks Marco. Had a read but found it a bit confusing. Is that only applicable for I2S DACs? I'm using an external DAC and am sure I usually have all the mixer options turned off but I'll have to have a look in the options again when I boot it up next.
    Not sure Simon. All I can comment on is the results of my experience to date, as outlined. Next time you boot up, try setting the PCM level at 96% and disabling the hardware control, and see if you can detect a sonic improvement or not

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Dave,

I'm intrigued as to what you're finding is lacking, sonically, with the RPi/IQ Audio combo, such that you feel that adding a graphic equaliser will help matters?

Having used that combo myself now for some time, I've never even been remotely tempted to change its sound in that way, as it sounds *spot on*, 'as is'!

Are you using yours with a high-quality fully-regulated linear PSU, or battery, instead of the crappy SMPS unit supplied?

If not, my advice would be to pursue that route, before adding a graphic EQ, as you'll be making a genuine improvement, rather than simply adding a bandage (by increasing distortion to alter the tonal response), in an attempt to 'cure' whatever issue it is you're currently experiencing.

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

It's not the Pi/DAC that I'm trying to fix, it's the speakers!!
    This is rather OT for this particular thread but....
    As you probably know I have been running a DIY setup with CAOW1 speakers and ZRB bass extenders (as you heard at NEBO 6ish, where they sounded rather poor TBH). Since then I have moved from an old Arcam CDP, which I had found difficult to beat, even with very expensive modern digital, to the Pi + IQ DAC+ Moode. I have experimented a lot with PSs and believe I have it fairly well optimised. I also bought a Piano 2.1 and Kali but was disappointed with the sound, no matter how I powered the pair.
    Anyway I been very happy with this setup until recently, when I visited a friend - actually the guy who designed the ZRB. He has quite a collection of speakers, all of which are improved by adding the ZRBs: ESL63, Gale 401, LS3/5A, JR149. In the past we allways preferred my CAOW1s, but he has added a pair of LS50s to his collection. Long story short... possibly/probably the best sound I have ever heard from any hifi!!
    Now here's the crazy bit: he had an ancient budget graphic equaliser in circuit!!!
    Just a couple of dB cut at 2.5KHz transformed the KEF/ZRB combo into something astonishing. It all just snapped into focus and tune. Brass instruments sounded real with wonderful harmonic shading/balance but not by being bright or forward. Voices were full bodied but clear. We then tried the CAOW1s and although they had a better tonal balance without eq they just could not get close to the clarity and correctness of the KEFs (with eq) - particularly noticeable on brass instruments.

So, when I started this thread I was thinking of buying a pair of LS50s (despite the looks :-() and tweaking the eq in the Pi. But the disappointment with my own system after this experience caused me to fish out a load of old kit and start a period of frenzied experimenting. Final conclusion: The old Arcam CDP is slightly better than the Pi+ DAC.
    So now I'm not sure which way to go. Going back to dicking about with CDs is not appealing, so I'm thinking about a Soekris dam1021 in the hope that this will give the best of both worlds in combination with the Pi. This would still leave the speaker issue and how to eq them, but I think I have to sort the source first.

Hi Dave,

Ah I see, no worries. However, from your opening post you can see how the confusion occurred, as there is no mention there of speakers:

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    Currently using RPi2 + IQ Audio DAC+ and Moode (release 3.1 2016-12-05).
    I would like to be able to adjust the frequency balance, ideally like a graphic equaliser.
    Some googling shows that there is a possibility to do this with SoX, but I have no clue as to how to implement this.

Can anyone guide me as to how to do this? I'm happy to change to Volumio or another lump of software, but if it involves code I will need quite a bit of hand-holding.

Anyway, good luck with your project and I hope that you get to where you want to be with your system soon

Marco.
    Main System

Yatsushiro Guest

The 96% setting was only to be used with DACs using Ti PCM5122 chips, and then only with older linux kernels. Most RPi sw builds from mid 2016 onwards should not need the 96% setting, as 100% is now 0dB.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
    The 96% setting was only to be used with DACs using Ti PCM5122 chips, and then only with older linux kernels. Most RPi sw builds from mid 2016 onwards should not need the 96% setting, as 100% is now 0dB.
    Thanks Paul. Was doing some searching this morning and couldn't find anything much. I'm currently listening and have looked at the settings. Seems that when using 'Mixer' set to 'None' it disables any volume control (as I thought) so can't change it from 100%. I haven't tried any of the other Mixer settings but don't think I need to as I've got no reason to need volume control at the source. I just want it to send an unmolested signal to my DAC (I don't even use upsampling).

Hi Paul,

Quote Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
    Thanks for the info. No idea how that applies in my case, using an IQ Audio DAC, bought around 2016. I'm not sure which chipset it uses. As I said, all I can do is report what I can hear, and in my system I can clearly hear clipping on musical peaks (on 'hot', high-level recordings) with the setting at 100%.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12