+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new PSU for my DAC

I'm Simon.

Default new PSU for my DAC

I've been messing around with linear psu's for my Mytek Brooklyn ever since I bought it. I've tried a whole bunch, discrete regs unit, one of Les's TPR2's I had lying round, LT3080 based unit with a hacker board up front, LT3083, LT3083 as a pre-reg with a TPS7A4700 doing final duties.

They've all been much of a muchness, they do the job. Things sound a little more focussed but nothing earth shattering.

Until now. Now I've a PSU that was expensive, a total PITA to solder together, and still only sounds a little bit better than the internal switch mode PSU in the Brooklyn...

Anyway gratuitous PSU shots, just cos it's the first time I've soldered any MSOP-12.

The good looking side

The business side

It's a 3 amp capable 6x LT3045, LDO reg based PSU, smart heatinks, should be easy to case up but more than anything appeals to my inner neat freak.

I assume the limit on extracting perfection from the Brooklyn is that it uses a bunch of switching regs inside the box on the main pcb, so no matter what you feed it, the power is still ultimately going through them. Without rework tools for SMT components I guess this is the end of the line for Brooklyn mods.

Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Gary.

Nice one Si,
    A mates got the Brooklyn and he loves it.
    maybe digitals getting to the saturation point of incremental improvements power supply wise?

Nice soldering btw.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 24-02-2018 at 22:38.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Simon.

Cheers, I might take the smps out of the Brooklyn to make space for replacement linear regs, but I'm worried about trying to remove smt parts with heatsinks under the chips.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Alex.

I think you have done a superb job of building the power supply. I think it looks good from both sides.

I'm Simon.

I've moved on from this and gone to a two stage psu with a 3 amp pre reg and then 4 paralleled lt3045, runs cooler, measures the same.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I've moved on from this and gone to a two stage psu with a 3 amp pre reg and then 4 paralleled lt3045, runs cooler, measures the same.
    But does it sound the same?
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Simon.

Doesn't sound any different but I'm happier with it as a thing.

I'm Alan.

Good soldering Simon, I have recently done some multi pin MSOP soldering.
    Great fun(?) but only if you have a steady hand, I had to get a new bit for the small soldering iron as the old one looked like a dogs hind leg

I'm Simon.

Yeh, I found solder paste to be a big help and .3mm solder

I'm Tony.

Simon

Have you tried a little bit of bypass on the main GPD series caps? which have a decent RCR and low ESR , but I have found them to benefit from a spot of quality by-pass, worth a try I feel. 1% films seem to work well

I agree with you on the Brooklyn, you need to remove those switching regulators to enable you to extract the untapped potential which lies within.

Easier if you have the hot-air de-soldering station with the correct tools makes life so much easier and neater, not impossible to remove with out, but you need to be quite careful with the single point heat application easy to over do it.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast