+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parental Advisory and Musicians as 'Role Models'

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

My daughter used to ask for specific tracks as gifts. Painful as it was, because I'm encouraging her love of music I always listened to each one after downloading it before passing them on if suitable.

Then she started to ask for albums by certain artists and so I vetted those. By this stage I felt a bit like GCHQ but even checking 12 tracks at a time wasn't too much effort.

Having seen it at the petrol station she recently asked for "Now...98" for her birthday. That'd mean I'd have to check out 46 tracks before I could let her have it.

Modern parenthood

Pete

I'm Kevin.

When my daughter listens to music I am less worried about the swearing than the sexual references in music aimed at girls her age - she is 9. I would rather she listened to Public Enemy whose albums had those stickers on - because they criticised and challenged the authorities as I don’t recall any swearing.

I'm Martin.

Maybe children don't use bad language at school anymore but in my day everyone swore like a trooper. Heard far more swearing at school than from anywhere else. I think the idea that you can 'protect' your child from hearing swearing is absurd. I did notice that in general the children whose parents had an active objection to bad language used it less, so I suppose if you contextualise it for them they may refrain from using it themselves, at least in inappropriate situations. I think that is the best you can hope for myself.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

They still swear like troopers at school.

My grand daughters have had some diablolical language for the last few years and they're only twelve and thirteen. I put it down to an extent that they are surrounded by kids from migrant families, who's parents have a poor grasp of English, so don't even know what their offspring are saying, let alone stopping it. Mind you, my daughter doesn't help, she's always swearing around her daughters. I'm the only one in the family who does not habitually use bad language.

I'm Paul.

Bad language from kids in many cases is really their way of discovering how to express themselves as individuals. The irony being that there is nothing new under the sun in that regard. I think it is only a real problem when they swear because that’s what their parents or role models do all the time gratuitously. I think that there is a cetain elegance in being able to swear in order to reinforce a point. Problem is that very few people can do it.

We are fairly easygoing with our kids language as we believe that making something taboo only makes them chase it more, if its not a big deal it doesn’t seem so interesting. We do have an issue with them using bad language to refer to other people.
    ~Paul~

I'm Graham.

"How was your day, son?" "Yeh, like, it was f^&%ing cool."

Really?
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    "How was your day, son?" "Yeh, like, it was f^&%ing cool."

Really?
    I remember one of my brothers literally having his mouth washed out with soap. Of course they would put you in prison for that now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I totally abhor bad language. It really fucking pisses me off!

I'm Grant.

Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I totally abhor bad language. It really fucking pisses me off!
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast