+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parental Advisory and Musicians as 'Role Models'

I'm Martin.

Default Parental Advisory and Musicians as 'Role Models'

Bought a new album the other day, released 2017, and I was surprised to notice it has the 'Parental Advisory' warning on the cover. Which is this, if you didn't know or had forgotten:

I thought that this Tipper Gore/Mary Whitehouse crap had died out years ago? Obviously not.

I remember buying Guns & Roses 'Appetite for Destruction' when it came out back in 1987 and the whole moral crusade against music thing had just started. It never occurred to me to peel off the sticker and my mother saw it and complained about me buying 'records that are just swearing.'

The difference then was that it was a vinyl LP so you could just take the sticker off. With this CD it is actually on the artwork. And I'm nearly fifty and no longer live at home so I don't really see the need to caution my one remaining parent that I might be listening to bad language. Now you may say well a youth could buy it in which case it is still pertinent. Well that's true except I doubt very much anyone under the age of 18 is still buying CDs. They will stream it or download it. So where is the warning sticker if they do that? Does it send an e-mail to their parents? I doubt it.

Worse still I have a cd of ACDC 'High Voltage' and that contains the following lyrics:

'You can stick your nine to five living and your collar and your tie'
    'You can stick your moral standards 'cause it's all a dirty lie'
    'You can stick your golden handshake, you can stick your silly rules'
    'And all the other shit that you teach the kids in school'

Which is obviously far more subversive than someone saying 'Fuck'. But because it isn't sweary, there is no 'Parental Advisory' mark.

I remember at the time people saying that the whole thing hadn't been thought through, but of course it was lost in the moral outrage.

Then I go into work and people, people a lot younger than me, are complaining about Kendrick Lamar's performance on the Brit Awards, saying it was 'disgusting'. All the swearing was blanked out of course, but they still didn't like it or that some bloke was smashing up a car as part of the act. Apparently this is setting a 'bad example' to youngsters and that these people should be more aware of their 'duty' as 'role models to the young'.

I just don't know where to start with that. You're always going to have 'mum friendly' artists like Ed Sheeran, for example. But do we really want all music and musicians to be bland conformists? Wasn't part of the whole 'music' thing that it was subversive, offensive and rebellious? That it challenged societal norms? Is it not the problem with modern music and artists that they are no longer pushing any boundaries and are instead trying to be good role models?

Well fuck that! I want my rock music loud and offensive, I want its perpetrators to be vilified by the older generation and the establishment. I want explicit content! Otherwise, we are lost, truly lost, in the anodyne world of Gore and Whitehouse, the world of 'dirty lies'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Unfortunately young people are infuenced by 'bad examples'. They always have been and peer pressure (hate that term, but what else is there?) encourages them to each follow suit.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Unfortunately young people are infuenced by 'bad examples'. They always have been and peer pressure (hate that term, but what else is there?) encourages them to each follow suit.
    And my response to that is 'So what?'

We need more bad examples, challenge preconceptions, challenge the status quo, give the youth something to think about. Do we want them all as conforming little robots? Is that good for society? Is that good for them?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Paul.

I think it won’t be too long before kids can bearly talk using words, let alone swearing. Have you seen any of the incomprehensible nonsense they seem post online these days?

I think early on record companies realised that there was money in rebellion- corporate friendly rebellion they call it now. Not only do we get manufactured groups but manufactured anti establishment.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I think it won’t be too long before kids can bearly talk using words, let alone swearing. Have you seen any of the incomprehensible nonsense they seem post online these days?

I think early on record companies realised that there was money in rebellion- corporate friendly rebellion they call it now. Not only do we get manufactured groups but manufactured anti establishment.
    But if it is all 'corporate friendly rebellion' instead of real rebellion, how are they supposed to learn the difference?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Default Parental Advisory and Musicians as 'Role Models'

I'm all for those stickers. Sweary words in music Disgrace an odd 1 is ok but it's a bad example for every 2nd word. What chance do parents have if it's classed as ok
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I'm all for those stickers. Sweary words in music Disgrace an odd 1 is ok but it's a bad example for every 2nd word. What chance do parents have if it's classed as ok
    The thrust of my argument is that we need more bad examples, not fewer. Parents will cope.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The thrust of my argument is that we need more bad examples, not fewer. Parents will cope.
    coming from a non parent letting young kids be bombarded with this language is not good. its a bit like defrocking santa at the local shop and showing them its mr jones from across the st.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

It seems to me that there are a couple of quite different aspects - lyrical content, and controls.

As has been touched on in some other threads, I think the content is all down to context. Whether subversive or sweary, Dead Kennedys, NWA and a shelfload of others are perfectly fine with me. They come across as authentic. You can't deny the existence of the real world and music has always reflected it and challenged the established order. However in terms of lyrics I dislike it when a mainstream pop artist inauthentically lobs in bad language to give themselves some "street" appeal. In that context it's lazy, cheap and comes across as rather silly.

To controls, quite a different matter. "Rockstar" by Post Malone was a number one at the end of last year and has far more offensive lyrics than any rock track that I can think of (ironically it makes a passing reference to Bon Scott, but I digress). We could clearly hear the lyrics when it was being played on Capitol...while in the car on the school run. Try getting out of that when a child asks you about it. I find it offensive that pretty tame singles were banned by the major radio stations in the 70s and 80s but nowadays they don't even have an expletive deleted version or warning before playing. Kids are just as impressionable as ever, but things are trickling down to them more quickly and graphically than ever, way before they're ready for them.

Must go off and play Black Flag's "Police Story" now - with the door shut obviously.

Pete

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Will they? Most parents that I know, including my family, don't seem to even try. Now there is a debate about etiquette and manners being taught in school because they are not being taught at home.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast