+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New tonearm available soon from Ammonite Audio

I'm Hugo.

Default New tonearm available soon from Ammonite Audio

Timestep have announced a new tonearm at the Bristol Show which Ammonite Audio will be offering shortly. Some people might recognise the heritage of this arm, but it is an OEM design manufactured for Timestep and available in 9", 10" and 12" lengths, all with Jelco mounting pattern and the same overall geometry as Jelco arms of the same lengths.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uQcIb0yMwoeEbfqI2

More details and prices to follow.
    Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 27-02-2018 at 15:02.

I'm Adrian.

That looks awfully like a 9" version of the Groovemaster im currently looking at Hugo.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Hugo.

While you have recognised the heritage of this arm, it is in fact different, having the titanium Armtube as standard,
    bespoke (Jelco) geometry and Special silver writing, premium connectors etc. Price for 9", 10" and 12" variants is £1450 plus options for different mountings. The standard mounting collar is £49.95 and the natty SME-style sliding mount is £149.95.
    Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 27-02-2018 at 15:04. Reason: More detail on pricing

I'm Adrian.

Hmmmm.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Hugo.

Here are some easier to see photos of the new Timestep tonearm, shown at the Bristol Show fitted to a new Technics SL-1200GR and the Soulines Kubrick DCX turntable. The new arm is available in 9", 10" and 12" lengths, each with Jelco geometry, and priced at £1450 irrespective of length, plus mountings. Mounting options are a Jelco/Linn pattern collar costing £49.95 extra, or a very handy SME type sliding mount which is £149.95 extra. It is available from Ammonite Audio now, and will be on the webshop in due course.

Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 27-02-2018 at 15:06.

I'm Lee.

Had a look at this arm on sunday it looks a nice tonearm, how does this compare to the Jelco 850 series?
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    Had a look at this arm on sunday it looks a nice tonearm, how does this compare to the Jelco 850 series?
    Well, to start with the TK-850S, which has the same geometry as the Timestep T-609 arm that you saw at Bristol, has a RRP of £950 inc VAT, so it sits in a lower price bracket than the T-609 which starts at £1450 plus mount and headshell. Jelco don’t quote effective mass, but it will be around 16g, and the T-609 is around 20g depending on headshell.

I’ve only heard the T-609 at Bristol where it was running with an AT-33EV cartridge, but it did sound petty magnificent. I’m running a TK-850S here, on the same Technics SL-1200GR albeit without external upgrade PSU and it’s sounding wonderful too. I have a feeling that the T-609 has an overall sound with more ‘heft’ than the Jelco, but until I have both here to play with, it’s a bit difficult to state with certainty what distinguishes the two arms, aprt from price. But, my feeling is that the T-609 justifies its higher price over the TK-850S. Similarly, the TK-850S is quite a bit better sounding (more ‘grown up’) than the old SA-750D and its new TS-550S replacement. The relative pricing of these arms does seem to indicate clearly that improvements do indeed come as the price tag gets higher. In this world of HiFi, such linear relationships cannot normally be guaranteed.

I hope that helps rather than confuses, but on my brief acquaintance so far, the T-609 tonearm more than justifies its price. It’s a very musical and cultured thing.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Well, to start with the TK-850S, which has the same geometry as the Timestep T-609 arm that you saw at Bristol, has a RRP of £950 inc VAT, so it sits in a lower price bracket than the T-609 which starts at £1450 plus mount and headshell. Jelco don’t quote effective mass, but it will be around 16g, and the T-609 is around 20g depending on headshell.

I’ve only heard the T-609 at Bristol where it was running with an AT-33EV cartridge, but it did sound petty magnificent. I’m running a TK-850S here, on the same Technics SL-1200GR albeit without external upgrade PSU and it’s sounding wonderful too. I have a feeling that the T-609 has an overall sound with more ‘heft’ than the Jelco, but until I have both here to play with, it’s a bit difficult to state with certainty what distinguishes the two arms, aprt from price. But, my feeling is that the T-609 justifies its higher price over the TK-850S. Similarly, the TK-850S is quite a bit better sounding (more ‘grown up’) than the old SA-750D and its new TS-550S replacement. The relative pricing of these arms does seem to indicate clearly that improvements do indeed come as the price tag gets higher. In this world of HiFi, such linear relationships cannot normally be guaranteed.

I hope that helps rather than confuses, but on my brief acquaintance so far, the T-609 tonearm more than justifies its price. It’s a very musical and cultured thing.
    Ok mate thanks for that, a bit more food for thought
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

+ Reply to Thread