+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caiman SEG USB vs Coax

I'm Bill.

Default Caiman SEG USB vs Coax

Anyone using their SEG via USB? Just wondering how this compares with Coax or Toslink.

Thinking about a Pi and interested how a Pi via USB compares to a Pi with a Digi hat via Coax.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Anyone using their SEG via USB? Just wondering how this compares with Coax or Toslink.

Thinking about a Pi and interested how a Pi via USB compares to a Pi with a Digi hat via Coax.
    Hi Bill, I have tried the SEG with USB (direct from the RPI3) but found a Digi+ with coax or toslink better. I found the Digi+ with RPI3/PicCorePlayer using Toslink to be better than coax - maybe because it is isolated. Now I have an Allo Digione which is a step-up (it has isolated co-ax - I actually use the same cable that was "worse" with the Digi+). Allo claim jitter is much lower with coax than toslink so the Digione doesn't support the latter.

With the Digi+ I found the best sound to be with the SEG set to three red flashing lights ("DATA recovered clock processing mode") but for the Digione, one red light ("optimized XTAL processing") seems best. With two ("PLL clock processing mode"), the sound was overly bright and a little harsh.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    Hi Bill, I have tried the SEG with USB (direct from the RPI3) but found a Digi+ with coax or toslink better. I found the Digi+ with RPI3/PicCorePlayer using Toslink to be better than coax - maybe because it is isolated. Now I have an Allo Digione which is a step-up (it has isolated co-ax - I actually use the same cable that was "worse" with the Digi+). Allo claim jitter is much lower with coax than toslink so the Digione doesn't support the latter.

With the Digi+ I found the best sound to be with the SEG set to three red flashing lights ("DATA recovered clock processing mode") but for the Digione, one red light ("optimized XTAL processing") seems best. With two ("PLL clock processing mode"), the sound was overly bright and a little harsh.
    Hello Alastair,
    I've recently bought a Digione and over the last couple of days have been thinking the sound is a bit bright sounding. I clicked on this thread again by chance and have seen you are using the 'one flash mode'. My SEG has been on '3 flash' and I have just changed to 'one flash' and I now have a lovely full bodied sound - perfect!

Thanks for the tip
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

+ Reply to Thread