+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2018

I'm Paul.

I'll be heading up the M5 shortly, so thanks for the impressions so far.
    Paul

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I love threads like this. Great pics and succinct commentary - looking forward to more.

Pete

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I love threads like this. Great pics and succinct commentary - looking forward to more.

Pete
    +1 Justin does this very well IMO
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Justin.

I'm convinced the Rega P10 is fine turntable. Heard one in someone's home system with an AN Io, and sounding good again here with the Apheta 2 cartridge and the MF Nu-Vista phono stage, which looks to be a fairly serious piece of kit. That ceramic platter appears to be a great material to rest vinyl on from a sonic perspective.

Powered by an MF Encore 500. Better in here than I expected given speakers I'm not generally fond of.

What I really like about the P10 is that it looks so unassuming and non-over the top yet does the job so well. Do you really need anymore than this in a TT? A good two fingers at the over the top designs from the likes of clearaudo and Transrotor, for instance.

Last edited by User211; 24-02-2018 at 16:16.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    The new SP10 was worth a look.
    Totally missed it - decent in the flesh? Did they have the matching plinth?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    +1 Justin does this very well IMO
    Absolutely...He is da man!

Keep 'em comin', Justers

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Moving up in the TT design complexity stakes, here's a few Kronos shots. Single (£16,995) and double platter (£24,995) variants. They do two tonearm variants - a 10 (Helena) and a 12 (Black Beauty) incher at 8 an 10K respectively.

According to the price list they also do what they call a full analogue source at £115K. Hm.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Absolutely...He is da man!

Keep 'em comin', Justers

Marco.
    Aw, dude

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    great show . the ram speakers room pretty good with the little l3/5a falcon speakers causing quite a stir . their sudgen amps looked good . the new spendor a7 sounding very natural and the audionote e`s were just utterly fantastic . if only , if only they would turn the volume down in that room !!

well worth a visit
    Nah, it was about right when I was in there - pretty loud.

I think there's something good about this slate veneered blue coned AN E variant. It stiffens up the cabinet a bit I think.

This room was doing the Audio Note thing well this year. It presented tonality and sense of acoustic space in a way nothing else in the show got close to. But there's a price to pay with it, in that you become aware that it is coloured really quite quickly. And quite heavily so. If you don't give a damn about this, it is a real winner. If you do, it isn't. You just have to make a choice, I guess. Lots of people love it but ultimately I just couldn't live with it. What it does really well with is the sort of music I just don't really listen to.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Aw, dude

Word, bro

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast