+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roon is roasting my nut!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Lol I wondered when someone would ask.

The answer was IP addresses, for some odd reason the IP address of my SoTM changed by one digit when I had to reinstall the firmware, no idea why it had to be redone but anyway the IP address went from 127 at the end to 128. I never thought much of that until Roon started to play up and lose the SoTM connection every 1-3 minutes.

I only noticed the issue when I ran an app called Fing on my phone too check what devices were connected to my router, it was then that I noticed that my Amazon Fire TV box IP address also ended in 128?

So I then logged onto the SoTM setup page and gave it a static address ending in 123, and hey presto problem solved.
    Nice one Mikey!
    It might be worth reserving the IP address on your router as well.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Nice one Mikey!
    It might be worth reserving the IP address on your router as well.
    Ok thanks, never thought of that, I'll do that over the weekend

I'm Gary.

Good you got it sorted Mikey.
    Roon’s awesome, well worth sticking with.

Cant praise it highly enough, next stepchange better... and thats coming from a Squeezebox user from back in the Slimserver days.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Edward.

I generally find it better to fix IP addresses on the router only so as to avoid IP address conflicts.

Yes Roon with Tidal makes for a winning combo. The 'Discover' feature is fabulous.

One thing I would love Roon to have is ability of connecting to Core externally. Something JRiver does with ease. Need to set up a personal VPN which is a bit of a faff.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Had a long chat with Steve Slberman at the Bristol Show (formerly AudioQuest and Ayre Acoustics) and now the new VP for Sales and Marketing at Roon, really nice guy.

Their new Roon Nucleus server is a pretty thing

A one stop shop for those not wanting to tinker/build with a NUC, as that's basically what it is a NUC in a nice case, running a Roon CORE with tweaked software. Loads of rooms running Roon and streaming from Tidal too, in fact hardly anyone at Bristol was playing CDs, all file based audio or vinyl.

https://darko.audio/2017/05/roon-ann...ucleus-server/
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Mike.

Well having trialled Roon for the 4th or 5th time, I still don’t get it and won’t be continuing after the trial ends this weekend, I just don’t see the value in it, I can do everything I want to do streaming wise with Spotify and search out my own stuff.

6 of my family use Spotify Premium for a total of £14.99 a month and comparing Roon/Tidal to Spotify there isn’t a whole lot in it. I also still have a feeling that Roon will be swallowed up by some other company and the lifetime subs will disappear.

I know many people really rate it, but me .... nah, I’d rather spend my cash elsewhere. I still have about 80 days of a Tidal trial to use but I can’t see me using that either.

Roon/Tidal works out at approx £27.50 per month for one user, Spotify is £14.99 for 6 users.

I'm Grant.

not tried roon. i just cant stick the tidal presentation. fortunately deezer is hifi too and much better so use that. i do like spotify but sonically deezer whips it
    i do miss connect tho, and you really need the pc close to you and a cable out to your dac.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Roon has it's place if you want to use all it's features, as it is very feature rich with added benefits of Roon ROCK and all the Roon Ready equipment that supports it. The information on artists, who played on what album and where and advanced search functionality is also second to none . . . if that's your thing. However, if you just want to play things on Spotify and don't have a large lossless library/want to run headless servers etc., then it is expensive and you won't get your money's worth. So I totally get your point.

I do think however it is going to be the Amazon of the file based audio world and the market leader, but it's an expensive punt at $499 for a lifetime membership, if it does go down the pan! I personally think that won't happen though.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12