+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: vinyl condition ratings

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    There are always chancers about who push the envelope of credibility...I'm fairly sure that their idea of "near mint" is that it's been stored adjacent to a box of 'After Eight' for a week.
    Like it !

I'm Shaun.

Yeah, I bought 'Blue Chip' by Acoustic Alchemy quite a few years back from a seller through Amazon that was listed as collectable condition. It wasn't, it had a warp so bad it was unplayable. The biggest problem though was that I hadn't tried to play it for quite a few months.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    There's a fundamental flaw in how the Record Collector rating for Mint is interpreted. The definition refers to the cover being "in perfect condition". That's means more than simply "new".

Back in the day many covers weren't in perfect condition when you saw them in shops. I'm not simply talking about being thumbed, I mean that they weren't particularly well made.

It's quite noticeable that the production quality of album covers has improved in the past couple of decades. Look at the spine on the gatefold of a modern re-release in your local Sainsburys and it will look like a hardback book compared to its 70's equivalent.

For this reason I assume all cover ratings shown as Mint are at least one grade lower than claimed, before allowing for seller bull.

I recently bought a very well described Rush Archives which is the best I've seen in over 70 adverts and would still only say it's VG/EX.

Pete
    the condition of the cover is of very little interest to me, I'm only interested in the quality of the record, I listen to music, I'm not a collector. I've seen records that have been sealed for many years for silly money and removing the seal would devalue the record, a bit like vintage wine, unless you're a multi millionaire who is going to drink a bottle of wine costing thousands, then what is the point of looking at it. Oh bugger I'm derailing my own thread. I'm assuming the rush record is not that good yet you describe it as excellent.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah ! You can't vilify vinyl with a broad brush reference to those fiddly little things, however!

Covers are surely easy to describe; it's the grooves inside that contact your stylus and can't be seen. Actually, I'm amazed by the number of charity shop records I've bought, despite showing poor care and dubious provenance, that play well after a clean. Difference stylus profiles may have something to do with it, as it depends upon where that crappy stylus has sat in the groove.
    Yes, very true. I've got loads of LPs that cost a quid each and 99 percent were fine after a clean. I also don't care about the condition of the sleeve. Ironically one of the worst records I own for noise was bought brand new. Cleaning improved it but it is still below the acceptable threshold. I just don't see the point anymore now CDs are so cheap. I miss the euphoric distortion a little, I'll admit, but I'm hoping that will wear off with time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm keith.

I jusr accepted that anything on Discogs and Ebay is probably going to be one or more usually 2 grades lower than its described. All my used vinyl gets a ultrasonic clean and a vacuum dry now though.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    I'm assuming the rush record is not that good yet you describe it as excellent.
    Sorry, my explanation could've been clearer. The cover of the album is as good as it's possible to be having firstly been in a shop and subsequently carefully owned. However, since it's a gloss light grey that marks easily even this one is no longer "perfect". All of them that I've seen for sale have some sort of marks.

I agree wholeheartedly that there's no point having records not to play them. My main point was simply that the RC definition of Mint, taken literally, was arguably unachieavable for many album covers which date back to the last century. When we were first buying them many of them weren't "perfect" to begin with. However unscrupulous sellers still use that grading.

Pete

I'm Russell.

The used vinyl market has changed drastically in only a few years. Just 5 or 6 years ago, good vinyl was to be had on eBay for $1 to $5 a piece. Now, used vinyl is going for $13! Due to the new interest in vinyl, everyone is trying to cash in. Luckily about 6 years ago I stocked up on many used records in the $1 to $5 range.

But even the descriptions of the ratings is ridiculous, since when has the word GOOD meant unplayable? I bought an old Alice Cooper, Love it to Death, and it skipped in 4 places! Rated Good. After about 5 serious scrubbings it is now playable, but still has a lot of pops and ticks. I don’t mind taking a chance for $3, but when they are charging $12 or $13 for a used record, I expect more.

Russell

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post

But even the descriptions of the ratings is ridiculous, since when has the word GOOD meant unplayable?

Russell
    Exactly my point
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Steve.

My own rule of thumb is to look at the cover. Anything that is bumped, obviously edge/storage worn and creased up is not excellent. and neither will the record be.

Its become worse because of smartphones. Every arse wipe has become an expert and their over optimistic and often illiterate lack of description is an other warning to avoid like the plague.

I don't use discogs but if something is not as described on eBay then it will go back at the seller's expense as a matter of course.
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre De Grenoble View Post
    My own rule of thumb is to look at the cover. Anything that is bumped, obviously edge & storage worn and creased up is not excellent. and neither will the record be.

Its become worse because of smartphones. Every arse wipe has become an expert and their over optimistic and often illiterate lack of description is an other warning to avoid like the plague.

I don't use discogs but if something is not as described on eBay then it will go back at the seller's expense as a matter of course.
    i think most vinyl enthusiasts will get it pretty much right mostly. there may be the odd difference in attitude re nmint to ex etc, often by perfectionists, (and lets face it, new vinyl isnt perfect and never will be)but they usually know whats what; unless they are at the madam, or made a genuine mistake. i keep all my record covers in poly liners which helps a lot, and until recently in ali cases too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast