+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Arden Mk1

I'm Charlie.

Default Tannoy Arden Mk1

I found a pair of Mk1 Tannoy Ardens on Ebay yesterday morning for £1800... Finally, the speakers I wanted and at a reasonable price! I had emailed a question to the seller about the pepperpot phase covers on them before I had even got out of bed!

Today, rather than finding an answer to my question sitting in my emails, I find that they have been relisted for £2500!

The struggle continues... Rant over. Apologies!

I'm Geoff.

What are "pepperpot phase covers"? Not heard that term before.

I'm Charlie.

By that I just mean the pepperpot style holes drilled into the phase plugs at the back of the tweeter. Tannoy later replaced this approach with the tulip waveguide.

Sorry if I have used the wrong terms!

And sorry if the seller is on this forum (could even be you, Geoff!) - no offence meant, more just disappointment!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistry View Post
    By that I just mean the pepperpot style holes drilled into the phase plugs at the back of the tweeter. Tannoy later replaced this approach with the tulip waveguide.

Sorry if I have used the wrong terms!

And sorry if the seller is on this forum (could even be you, Geoff!) - no offence meant, more just disappointment!
    None of the HPD drivers had tulip waveguides.

There's a pair of Mk.I Berkeleys on ebay, same drive unit as the Arden, but less monstrous cabinets. Still big enough though. The sound is identical to the Arden apart from the bottom half octave of bass, which you'd probably not notice.

I'm Charlie.

Thanks, Geoff - yes, I was trying to get a photo of the pepperpots on them. I understand that many of the HPDs manufactured in Coatbridge were not necessarily built to the same standards as those built in London, and this can be seen from the uniformity of the pepperpot holes - was hoping a photo of the pepperpots would tell me a bit more about where and when these drive units were made!

If the bidding stays around the level it is on those Berkeleys listed on ebay, they look like a steal for the drive units alone...

I'm Geoff.

That's a bit of a myth about the pepperpot drillings. Yes, some were not quite as tidy looking as earlier offerings, but still did the job and it had no effect on the sound.

Most HPD drivers still have their gauze dustcaps in place, so you won't get a clear photo of the waveguides anyway. Even more so on the Monitor Golds and Reds, which employed denser gauze.

Later drivers used a nylon gauze dustcap that you can see through. Like this:

I'm Charlie.

Thanks, Geoff. I have managed to get a photo of the waveguides through the gauze on some HPDs in the past - as you say, not ideal through the gauze, but certainly clear enough to see how uniform the holes are.

Even if it is a myth, I can't help but feel that I would want a pair that look half decent (I have seen some real shockers...), even if not perfect! It just seems to speak to the care and attention that went into putting the drive units together..

I'm Dan.

Yes Saw those along with the £10,000 yorks too.....both relisted Arden £2,500 , £8,500

Too good to be true walk away mate....
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm frank.

Slightly mis-drilled phase plugs have no effect on sound, they don't look that great but it doesn't show a lack of care, more likely they show a slightly worn drill jig;-)
    The Monitor Gold throat isn't even a curve it's 2 straight sided sections that approximate a curve-everybody panic..;-)

I'm Phil.

gosh thats a silly price when for under double that you can get a new type s/h pair of arden legacy at audio philia
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast