+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi-Fi Cock-ups. What's Your Biggest Disaster?

I'm Buriedunderaloadofturntables.

Setting the output stage bias on a 1980s B&O Beomaster 5000 receiver - multimeter probe slipped, touched another component and bang - output transistor fried.

In my defence, you do need three very small hands to do this with ease and I know of better people than me who have done exactly the same thing!
    Adam.

I'm jamie.

Running 4 Ditton 44ís through my amp! Then silence lol
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers ,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,Pioneer PA-5000,Alphason HR-100S-MCS,Zeta tonearms,Denon 103SA Cartridge's,Denon HA-500 Head Amp, John Wood KT88 Valve Amp,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Ian.

" Improving " a SME 3009 arm by fitting decent RCA sockets instead of the old 4 pin unit and managing to break a tiny wire hidden in the depths of it. The upside was I sent it off to J7 for a rewire and it really was much improved, albeit with a price tag.
    My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/Musical Fidelity X DAC/Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Musical Fidelity A3, Nakamichi CA-5E pre amp, Acoustic Solutions FM/DAB tuner, Mordaunt Short Signifer, Klotz MC5000/MS audio, NVA LS5

I'm Adam.

I used to DJ back in the early 1990's, a venue I played at had ceiling 'swing mounted' deck platform (swing being a platform of wood on chains to the ceiling) on it, 2 x Technics SL-1200s and a mixer in the middle. The DJ booth was up high from the dance floor...

Half way through the evening pretty worse for wear on very Exotic Woodbines and Alcohol, I bent down to sort some records out, on straightening up managed to upend the swing platform with my shoulder and the resulting two Technics SL-1200s and a mixer ended up 15ft below on the dance floor in what can only be described as a ferkin' chaotic mess. Everything had literally exploded into a million pieces on impact.
    I kid you not it looked like a Modern Art installation!

My short lived DJ career never recovered!
    "lack of passion is fatal"
    Gerrard 401, classic hifi hammertone, Russ Collinson plinth / Tenuto Gun Metal Turntable Mat / SME 3012 J7 Rewired / audio-technica ATP-12T - phonomac modified / Ortofon Vintage SPU GE /Shure M3D /DV XX2Mk2 / The Cartridge Man Music Master with isolator / Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil Mono / Vintage GE VRII Mono / WAD 300b Power modded, TJ Mesh Plate Valves / David Coe AD Audio 'Satchmo' Pre & Phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / Tannoy 12" MGs in RFC Custom Rutland Cabinets with RFC Custom Crossovers / Speaker Cables: Duelund DCA16GA Tinned Copper / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 Signature / Interconnects: Duelund DCA20GA home brew /SW1X Audio SPDIF AERO 6 / Synology NAS Drive / Roon / Tidal HiFi / Mains Power Conditioner

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I used to DJ back in the early 1990's, a venue I played at had ceiling 'swing mounted' deck platform (swing being a platform of wood on chains to the ceiling) on it, 2 x Technics SL-1200s and a mixer in the middle. The DJ booth was up high from the dance floor...

Half way through the evening pretty worse for wear on very Exotic Woodbines and Alcohol, I bent down to sort some records out, on straightening up managed to upend the swing platform with my shoulder and the resulting two Technics SL-1200s and a mixer ended up 15ft below on the dance floor in what can only be described as a ferkin' chaotic mess. Everything had literally exploded into a million pieces on impact.

My short lived DJ career never recovered!
    Great stuff !!!! Just the sort of ham fisted thing I am capable of!
    Not equipment ruining but associated -
    I made myself a diy RCM ,and found a quite nice original vintage copy of The Wizard of Oz ,soundtrack Vinyl lp , the vinyl was quite pristine but dusty and dirty as hell , so after careful soaking and cleaning , accompanied by some diy red wine disposal , I bent down to pick the lp off the plater without turning it off . The record came up on the twist ,grabbed the spindle and the whole thing was scrawpted against the edge of the metal platter leaving a horrible line all along it !!
    Plus the fact the LP belonged to the wife !! They go for £40 usually
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Tom.

Demoing a Krell KSA100 with my monitor golds. Not sure quite how it happened but there was a spark at the input, followed moments later by a smell of burning paper ... left side went D.C. and had caused a 15 in Tannoy cone to go up in flames from the centre like the map at the start of Bonanza.

£600 for a double re-cone at Lockwoods (to keep the drivers matching) about half covered on house insurance. Ouch. Thankfully the voice coil was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    That's bloody hilarious!! Unfortunate, but definitely hilarious!

I also had a huge DJ'ing disaster. I may describe it later. (and I mean huge, the carnage was monumental )

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    £600 for a double re-cone at Lockwoods (to keep the drivers matching) about half covered on house insurance. Ouch. Thankfully the voice coil was fine.
    Ouch!!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"
    Gerrard 401, classic hifi hammertone, Russ Collinson plinth / Tenuto Gun Metal Turntable Mat / SME 3012 J7 Rewired / audio-technica ATP-12T - phonomac modified / Ortofon Vintage SPU GE /Shure M3D /DV XX2Mk2 / The Cartridge Man Music Master with isolator / Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil Mono / Vintage GE VRII Mono / WAD 300b Power modded, TJ Mesh Plate Valves / David Coe AD Audio 'Satchmo' Pre & Phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / Tannoy 12" MGs in RFC Custom Rutland Cabinets with RFC Custom Crossovers / Speaker Cables: Duelund DCA16GA Tinned Copper / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 Signature / Interconnects: Duelund DCA20GA home brew /SW1X Audio SPDIF AERO 6 / Synology NAS Drive / Roon / Tidal HiFi / Mains Power Conditioner

I'm Ian.

Not a hifi disaster but audio related. We were playing a gig at The Richmond in Brighton, there was a large house PA with their own engineer so we only had to supply the backline. I had a really nice Ampeg combo that was perfect for the job and we were having a great gig until I got an electric shock through the guitar strings, I was somewhat " startled " by this. It didn't happen again so I carried on. Two thirds of the way through Won't Get Fooled Again I got another belt and then another and needless to say I stopped playing much to the consternation of the rest of the band. I ended up DI-ing to the desk and couldn't hear a bloody thing. Never found the problem with the amp, ended up swapping it for a Vox Teardrop bass, god I wish I still had that and yes I did tell the new owner what had happened, he never mentioned it so I guess it was fine. Weird.
    My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/Musical Fidelity X DAC/Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Musical Fidelity A3, Nakamichi CA-5E pre amp, Acoustic Solutions FM/DAB tuner, Mordaunt Short Signifer, Klotz MC5000/MS audio, NVA LS5

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Not a hifi disaster but audio related. We were playing a gig at The Richmond in Brighton, there was a large house PA with their own engineer so we only had to supply the backline. I had a really nice Ampeg combo that was perfect for the job and we were having a great gig until I got an electric shock through the guitar strings, I was somewhat " startled " by this. It didn't happen again so I carried on. Two thirds of the way through Won't Get Fooled Again I got another belt and then another and needless to say I stopped playing much to the consternation of the rest of the band. I ended up DI-ing to the desk and couldn't hear a bloody thing. Never found the problem with the amp, ended up swapping it for a Vox Teardrop bass, god I wish I still had that and yes I did tell the new owner what had happened, he never mentioned it so I guess it was fine. Weird.
    Wasn't it Eric Clapton who got a belt off of the mike stand at Live Aid? I mean I know Live Aid was a bit of a lash up but even so it shouldn't really be able to happen.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast