+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Fi Cock-ups. What's Your Biggest Disaster?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I did bin some Amstrad speakers once. They were working but obviously they were shit and the cabs had been gnawed by mice and had holes in the corners (blocked up with blutak while in use).

That was doing the world a favour though so no regrets there.
    Serious error of judgement even being found in possession of such things.

I'm Martin.

A lodger left them in a cupboard. I used them as temporary surround speakers on my first foray into 5.1

I did consider keeping the drive units but they were so toytown there was no point.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by GJO View Post
    Also back in 1986 we moved from a flat to where we lived now,so ditched a load of stuff I hadn't used for years,so 2 SME 3009's were skipped.
    Sigh......
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Andrew.

I’d just about finished a pair of Goodmans Magnum’s that I’d re-capped etc. The last job was to connect up the bass drivers. I’d bought the drivers off eBay after waiting ages for a pair to come up and the usual nervous wait to see if I’d won them. I’d soldered the wire to drivers and had soldered circular tabs onto the other end ready to connect to the bolts on the back of the speaker connections. Except that when I tried to slip the tab onto the bolt ready to tighten down with the nut the internal diameter of the tab was too small to fit over the bolt. No worries, I thought, I’ll just drill them out, make the holes bigger. Did I take the tabs off the wires first, did I neck, only a quick job why bother? You can probably predict the rest. As soon as the drill bit touched the hole the tab gripped and the wire was spinning round like a strimmer blade. Of course not without first ripping itself from the cone and the voice coil. No injury to myself thankfully, only my pride, I suppose. Lesson learned. There is a saying about haste isn’t there?

I'm Geoff.

I'm glad you're not my mechanic Andrew!

I'm Graham.

Binned an Ortofon 12" mono tonearm and a Pickering unipoise arm with integrated pickup cartridge when clearing out my late father's stuff.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I did bin some Amstrad speakers once. They were working but obviously they were shit and the cabs had been gnawed by mice and had holes in the corners (blocked up with blutak while in use).

That was doing the world a favour though so no regrets there.
    According to Alan Sugar's autobiography, the size of the cabinets was calculated to maximize shipping container space, nothing to do with acoustics!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm glad you're not my mechanic Andrew!
    Yes, I appreciate that Geoff. The daft thing is I do consider myself to be reasonably handy. I’ve worked on motorbikes since I was a kid and rarely need a tradesman in the house. It’s like every now and again I get a sort of mechanical Tourette’s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    every now and again I get a sort of mechanical Tourette’s.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Yes, I appreciate that Geoff. The daft thing is I do consider myself to be reasonably handy. I’ve worked on motorbikes since I was a kid and rarely need a tradesman in the house. It’s like every now and again I get a sort of mechanical Tourette’s.
    Ha Ha , great stuff . Drills hey ?? Like the time I was too tight to buy a new handle for my Stihl chainsaw ,so made a metal piece to strengthen the plastic handle , pushed too hard with the drill and went straight into the oil tank !!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast