+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Fi Cock-ups. What's Your Biggest Disaster?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    According to Alan Sugar's autobiography, the size of the cabinets was calculated to maximize shipping container space, nothing to do with acoustics!
    Yes, I've read it. The parts that cover his time in audio are very interesting. He certainly doesn't sugar coat it (ho ho).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes, I've read it. The parts that cover his time in audio are very interesting. He certainly doesn't sugar coat it (ho ho).
    It was dog eat dog and the devil took what was left..
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Leant over my system one day with a woolly jumper on, just to reach something behind, pick up arm on my turntable linked into my jumper, and thus pulled the arm across the platter, in doing so' terminally bent the cantilever of the moving coil cartridge I had only recently fitted!
    My wife done something similar to my Goldring 1042 which at the time was a very expensive purchas for me. One day I noticed a bit of yellow duster fluff hanging off the cantilever. Closer inspection revealed that it was hanging off to one side. The turntable was wonderfully free of dust however, something to be positive about at the time.
    ~Paul~

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I let a digital cable attached to my luvverly Theta Gen V DAC dangle against the speaker posts of an on AVI Lab Series amp - 200wpc.
    BANG and lots of smoke.
    DAC was dead as a dodo.
    Amp was fine, though.

Bought a Sony PS-X50 turntable on eBay, fully aware that it was 110V and I needed to connect the 240/110V converter that the seller also supplied.
    When the box arrived I was so excited I forgot about the voltage thing and plugged the deck straight into the UK mains, leaving the converter undiscovered in the box.
    Damn thing never worked again.
    Oh dear, one of the finest DACs ever made.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    My dad had a cat which had a habit of sleeping on top of his quite expensive Panasonic VCR.
    This brute of a machine cost over 600 quid in the early 90s...a huge amount and even in standby was the warmest perch in his unmodernised terrace home.
    It stayed in standby....and hence stayed warm when the moggy decided to piss its bed.

My dad said the smell, when he returned from work many hours later, was beyond description....and lingered in the house for days.

The insurance did not cover it.
    I was a repair engineer early in my life - you’d be amazed how common this was. If you didn’t get power off quickly it’ll generally eat straight the PCB tracks and component legs. We had plastic gloves and a pack of servisol foam cleaner out the back of the workshop - generally the van drivers delivering faulty kit already knew which items were piss infected & dumped them by the door

I'm Grant.

Had a kid piss in my tool case. Littlebastard.com
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Greg.

Selling my trio L-07D, as and didnt really use the system , job ,young children ....fool me .

2ndly, again rather didnt need to sell but did marantz CD-7 , what was I thinking

G

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unomelodica View Post
    Selling my trio L-07D, as and didnt really use the system , job ,young children ....fool me .

2ndly, again rather didnt need to sell but did marantz CD-7 , what was I thinking

G
    My LP12 sat out the small children phase safely in its box. Luckily for me it probably trebled in value in that time. (Otherwise I'd never have afforded the Townshend Rock Reference that replaced it).

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'm confident that anything I've binned that was rubbish then is still rubbish now (thankfully)!
    I've never really 'binned' anything: speakers, amplifiers, turntables, arms or cartridges. If there has been something I no longer had any use for, I have either sold them on, or given them away.

The only things I have discarded, but with the intention of using parts to build something better were: a Collaro 2020 turntable (a sort of "poor man's" Garrard 301), but I saved the (substantial) motor; and a pair of home-built Mullard 5-10 amplifiers, but I kept the Parmeko transformers.
    Barry

I'm Mick.

Bought my first Ortofon 2m Black cart and spent over £500 and thought keeping the stylus guard on was the best option. Went to use removed the guard and found the cantilever bent due to wrongly fixing the guard in the first place . So thought easy to straighten, bugger snapped new stylus required
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast