+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi-Fi Cock-ups. What's Your Biggest Disaster?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Geoff.

Default Hi-Fi Cock-ups. What's Your Biggest Disaster?

I suspect most of us have had 'incidents' when messing about with equipment. Tell us about anything you wish you'd not done or about any spectacular disasters that have occured.

I lent a very nice Audio Concepts Legend P300 MOSFET power amp to a mate to provide sound for a big party. The invited prat of a 'DJ' managed to connect the speaker outputs to the mains while nobody was looking at what he was up to and fried the feedback boards. The amp survived after a bit of first aid, which is less than can be said for my mate's Harbeth HL Monitors. The cones were literally blown out and coils melted. I saved the day by popping back with my Tannoy Eatons which gave good service through the whole night.

I also nearly killed myself tinkering with an old Teleton reel to reel recorder. I was reaching inside the back to adjust something and got an almighty electric shock. I'd forgotten the first rule. Disconnect the damn power!! Lucky my elbow earthed against the steel frame, so the rest of my body didn't get fried.

I blew up a pair of rather rare and now quite valuable full range Whitely Stentorian speaker drive units by putting too much power throught them. I wasn't going very loud, honest!

Last edited by walpurgis; 21-02-2018 at 17:51.

+ Reply to Thread