+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi-Fi Cock-ups. What's Your Biggest Disaster?

I'm Adam.

Setting the output stage bias on a 1980s B&O Beomaster 5000 receiver - multimeter probe slipped, touched another component and bang - output transistor fried.

In my defence, you do need three very small hands to do this with ease and I know of better people than me who have done exactly the same thing!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm jamie.

Running 4 Ditton 44’s through my amp! Then silence lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Ian.

" Improving " a SME 3009 arm by fitting decent RCA sockets instead of the old 4 pin unit and managing to break a tiny wire hidden in the depths of it. The upside was I sent it off to J7 for a rewire and it really was much improved, albeit with a price tag.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Adam.

I used to DJ back in the early 1990's, a venue I played at had ceiling 'swing mounted' deck platform (swing being a platform of wood on chains to the ceiling) on it, 2 x Technics SL-1200s and a mixer in the middle. The DJ booth was up high from the dance floor...

Half way through the evening pretty worse for wear on very Exotic Woodbines and Alcohol, I bent down to sort some records out, on straightening up managed to upend the swing platform with my shoulder and the resulting two Technics SL-1200s and a mixer ended up 15ft below on the dance floor in what can only be described as a ferkin' chaotic mess. Everything had literally exploded into a million pieces on impact.
    I kid you not it looked like a Modern Art installation!

My short lived DJ career never recovered!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I used to DJ back in the early 1990's, a venue I played at had ceiling 'swing mounted' deck platform (swing being a platform of wood on chains to the ceiling) on it, 2 x Technics SL-1200s and a mixer in the middle. The DJ booth was up high from the dance floor...

Half way through the evening pretty worse for wear on very Exotic Woodbines and Alcohol, I bent down to sort some records out, on straightening up managed to upend the swing platform with my shoulder and the resulting two Technics SL-1200s and a mixer ended up 15ft below on the dance floor in what can only be described as a ferkin' chaotic mess. Everything had literally exploded into a million pieces on impact.

My short lived DJ career never recovered!
    Great stuff !!!! Just the sort of ham fisted thing I am capable of!
    Not equipment ruining but associated -
    I made myself a diy RCM ,and found a quite nice original vintage copy of The Wizard of Oz ,soundtrack Vinyl lp , the vinyl was quite pristine but dusty and dirty as hell , so after careful soaking and cleaning , accompanied by some diy red wine disposal , I bent down to pick the lp off the plater without turning it off . The record came up on the twist ,grabbed the spindle and the whole thing was scrawpted against the edge of the metal platter leaving a horrible line all along it !!
    Plus the fact the LP belonged to the wife !! They go for £40 usually
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

montesquieu Guest

Demoing a Krell KSA100 with my monitor golds. Not sure quite how it happened but there was a spark at the input, followed moments later by a smell of burning paper ... left side went D.C. and had caused a 15 in Tannoy cone to go up in flames from the centre like the map at the start of Bonanza.

£600 for a double re-cone at Lockwoods (to keep the drivers matching) about half covered on house insurance. Ouch. Thankfully the voice coil was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    That's bloody hilarious!! Unfortunate, but definitely hilarious!

I also had a huge DJ'ing disaster. I may describe it later. (and I mean huge, the carnage was monumental )

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    £600 for a double re-cone at Lockwoods (to keep the drivers matching) about half covered on house insurance. Ouch. Thankfully the voice coil was fine.
    Ouch!!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Ian.

Not a hifi disaster but audio related. We were playing a gig at The Richmond in Brighton, there was a large house PA with their own engineer so we only had to supply the backline. I had a really nice Ampeg combo that was perfect for the job and we were having a great gig until I got an electric shock through the guitar strings, I was somewhat " startled " by this. It didn't happen again so I carried on. Two thirds of the way through Won't Get Fooled Again I got another belt and then another and needless to say I stopped playing much to the consternation of the rest of the band. I ended up DI-ing to the desk and couldn't hear a bloody thing. Never found the problem with the amp, ended up swapping it for a Vox Teardrop bass, god I wish I still had that and yes I did tell the new owner what had happened, he never mentioned it so I guess it was fine. Weird.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Not a hifi disaster but audio related. We were playing a gig at The Richmond in Brighton, there was a large house PA with their own engineer so we only had to supply the backline. I had a really nice Ampeg combo that was perfect for the job and we were having a great gig until I got an electric shock through the guitar strings, I was somewhat " startled " by this. It didn't happen again so I carried on. Two thirds of the way through Won't Get Fooled Again I got another belt and then another and needless to say I stopped playing much to the consternation of the rest of the band. I ended up DI-ing to the desk and couldn't hear a bloody thing. Never found the problem with the amp, ended up swapping it for a Vox Teardrop bass, god I wish I still had that and yes I did tell the new owner what had happened, he never mentioned it so I guess it was fine. Weird.
    Wasn't it Eric Clapton who got a belt off of the mike stand at Live Aid? I mean I know Live Aid was a bit of a lash up but even so it shouldn't really be able to happen.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast