+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Class D Amp users opinions

I'm steve.

Default Class D Amp users opinions

I’m considering going minimalist on the amp front and I’d like any info and opinions on any of the relatively inexpensive Class D amps. I’d particularly like to hear from any users of the BK Electronics Pear Drop amp and the Temple Audio Bantam Gold, both which sell for £200, or any others around the same price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm tony.

Temple amps are very good.

They are great folk to deal with.

I have a bantum and four mono blocks-all excellent.

I have only bettered them by going all class A.

I'm Mike.

I haven't heard either of the amps you mention, although the Bantams do have a very good reputation.

Class D, implemented well, can be excellent, equally as good as any other Class.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Pavel.

I think BK Electronics Pear Drop is based on Abletec ALC0180. Should be a good amp.

I'm steve.

Thanks for the comments and opinions guys, much appreciated, still looking at other options too. I was quite surprised while doing searches that lots of companies are changing to Class D for their amps, NAD and Cyrus to mention just 2. I also spotted a more fully featured amp, the Teac AL101DA which is only £20 more than the Pear Drop and Bantam but it sports a DAC with optical and usb inputs as well as analogue, Bluetooth, headphone output and remote control. Only downside is low power it's only 20wpc/4ohms with 1% distortion so probably only 15-16watts into my 6ohm speakers, distortion will no doubt be very low under 10watts so no real problems at normal listening levels, reviews on YouTube all seem quite positive.

I'm gone.

I have had lots of class D amps, and lots of others as well.
    On the whole I like them a lot.

Imo, class D does have a distinctive sound so it can be a bit marmite - some folks loving it, others not so much!
    It tends to have a palpably real midrange, possibly the missing link between solid state and valves-done-well in that respect, to my ears at any rate.

Even at the best I have heard it, class D doesn't have the last smidgeon of resolution, and some class D amps can be distinctly smoothed over, once again to my ears. Some folks like those amps for the smoothness, others (like me) prefer my class D as a higher rez implementation.

I've heard a Bantam and would rate it as a bit too smooth for my tastes.

--- which all come down to the recommendation that you have to try these things for yourself!

I'm tony.

I find the bantum very valve like in presentation.

The bantum gold and mono blocks would far more up your street Jerry-less bright than a mini t but quite a bit more grunt.

I'm steve.

Default Class D Amp users opinions

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I find the bantum very valve like in presentation.

The bantum gold and mono blocks would far more up your street Jerry-less bright than a mini t but quite a bit more grunt.
    To be honest I’d prefer the balance to be on the light and bright side as the top end currently is a little lacking, provided the delivery is not piercing or shrill.
    I’ve had a look round an a few other option that include an onboard Dac, the Tangent Ampster BT and the Teac AL101da, I prefer the aesthetics of the Teac but it’s rather low power, the Tangent has double the power and it’s quite a bit cheaper (£149) and it got 5*s and a recommended tag from Hifi Choice.

https://tangent-audio.com/upload_dir...Hifichoice.pdf

I'm Pavel.

I may be wrong, but as far as I remember Teac AI101DA digitizes its analog inputs to apply some sort of DSP to it...

I'm tony.

Second hand mini t would probably suit.

Try a wanted ad in private exhibitions...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast