+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD: SS Integrated Amplifier c. £1k

I'm Alex.

Default WTD: SS Integrated Amplifier c. £1k

Preferably a high power (100WPC+), Class A/B design with remote control for input and volume. An on board phono stage and/or DAC would also be very useful. Should be tonally neutral to warm, with strong bass and dynamics.

Compact pre-power (or two-box integrated) considered.

Budget £500-1200.

Something like: MF A308, AVI Lab Series Integrated, ATC SIA2-150, Naim SuperNait (original), Leema Tucana, Krell KAV-400xi
    Last edited by Alex A; 20-02-2018 at 22:17.

I'm Richard.

Not a Tucana, but still looks tasty
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ulse-Amplifier

I'm Alex.

Thanks Richard. I had spotted that, but I'd like something 100WPC@8ohms minimum really, with (close to) double into 4ohms. The SuperNait is an exception because, well, Naim Watts.
    Last edited by Alex A; 20-02-2018 at 22:33.

I'm Phil.

the pulse is a superb amp , you would have to spend a bit to better it . i loved mine and used with dynaudios
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Alan.

pm sent
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Don.

How about a Primare i30 in silver?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Richard.

Alan’s MF A5 (Mad Moon) is a serious bit of kit for sure. Failing that I have a superb and fully re-capped Alchemist Forsetti that I’ve had for years but it’s been sitting doing nothing more or less since it’s recap. I just love it’s build quality and the way it looks quite apart from it’s sound. It has its orginal remote and box too. Beautiful thing. I’d take £600 for it. Maybe a tad less. The recap cost about £250.

I'm Ian.

Hi Alex,
    What speakers are you going to use with the amp? I'd respectfully suggest there isn't a lot of difference between 70 and 100 watts in terms of decibels produced. I've owned two AVI Lab series in my time and really enjoyed them but I think the Leema Pulse is easily as good and service/support will be much better as AVI have really left the separates market now.

Cheers, Ian

I'm Alex.

The speakers are B&W Signature 805s. I've owned them for 12 years and used them with many amps from 300B SE through to a Krell KSA-150. They can work well either way, but they're now situated in a larger room and I want something closer to the Krell end of that spectrum (within budget and space constraints). Of course it's not just about Watts, but that helps filter out the less muscular options.

I'm sure the Pulse is superb, but a 'standard' power entry/mid level Class A/B design doesn't really appeal.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Hi Alex,
    What speakers are you going to use with the amp? I'd respectfully suggest there isn't a lot of difference between 70 and 100 watts in terms of decibels produced. I've owned two AVI Lab series in my time and really enjoyed them but I think the Leema Pulse is easily as good and service/support will be much better as AVI have really left the separates market now.

Cheers, Ian
    I think power supply is very important, so in the 70 vs 100wpc example, if the 70wpc doubled to 140wpc into 4 ohms while the 100wpc only managed 140 at 4, then they would have quite similar headroom for speakers that had impedance curves that dropped to 4 ohms in places.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast