+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: lap top v raspberry pi

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    OK point taken...I'll bow to your experience RE. USB

I'd also second your SPDIF board suggestion, the best I've heard from a pi was via a hifiberry digi+ pro SPDIF board with isolation...
    I have a Hifiberry Digi+ and it is very good. However, the Allo Digione is far better. Incredible detail and clarity, although several times the price.

Geoff

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Dac is the one built into my TQ claymore that i use as a pre.

Best dac ive ever tried ,so really want to utilise it with a pi if possible.

The question regards memory stick with pi-i would rather use solid state than a spinning drive if possible.

Dont have a clue regards operating systems tbh....or computers in general.
    You can use a local HD, USB stick, or NAS for your files...

However, although the setup of a pi is much easier than it used to be, you'll still need some basic computer skills...or a mate who has
    Cheers, Will

I'm tony.

Will,
    That is where i fall down but have some help available-just wondered if those in the know reckon the pi as a dedicated server had the edge sonically.

Im not averse to going battery/linear supply if it reaps rewards.

The lap top route has served me well for years, just trying to up the game on a budget if possible.

I'm Grant.

ive got a pi with battery and laptop. i prefer the laptop, and rarely use the pi these days, but there isnt much in it imv sonically.. go with what your comfortable with
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

Will,
    That is where i fall down but have some help available-just wondered if those in the know reckon the pi as a dedicated server had the edge sonically.

Im not averse to going battery/linear supply if it reaps rewards.

The lap top route has served me well for years, just trying to up the game on a budget if possible.
    I use a pi3 as my LMS server, and a couple of pi's with HAT DACs in secondary systems...if you want absolute SQ from the pi then it seems to me that the ALLO SPDIF is the way to go, as mentioned by the others. (I may have to check that out myself )

FWIW I use iFi iPSUs with my pi/HAT DACs (Audiphonics, and IQaudio), and there's an improvement, but as they are secondary systems I'm not going to go any further...let your help have a look at these options...I'd recommend ethernet connectivity for simplicity, and resilience

https://sites.google.com/site/picore.../home/how-to-1
    https://volumio.org/
    http://moodeaudio.org/

I use picoreplayer, as it integrates into my squeezebox world, I'm still using a SBTouch, Boom, and classic too...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Geoff.

Dac is the one built into my TQ claymore that i use as a pre.

Best dac ive ever tried ,so really want to utilise it with a pi if possible.

The question regards memory stick with pi-i would rather use solid state than a spinning drive if possible.

Dont have a clue regards operating systems tbh....or computers in general.
    No problem with memory sticks if formatted properly. Latest Pis have 4 usb ports so you can use more than one usb stick but heat dissipation may be a problem. I have stopped using my San Disk Ultra for continuous use because it runs too hot.

Geoff
    Last edited by Sherwood; 20-02-2018 at 17:54. Reason: typos

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I use a pi3 as my LMS server, and a couple of pi's with HAT DACs in secondary systems...if you want absolute SQ from the pi then it seems to me that the ALLO SPDIF is the way to go, as mentioned by the others. (I may have to check that out myself )

FWIW I use iFi iPSUs with my pi/HAT DACs (Audiphonics, and IQaudio), and there's an improvement, but as they are secondary systems I'm not going to go any further...let your help have a look at these options...I'd recommend ethernet connectivity for simplicity, and resilience

https://sites.google.com/site/picore.../home/how-to-1
    https://volumio.org/
    http://moodeaudio.org/

I use picoreplayer, as it integrates into my squeezebox world, I'm still using a SBTouch, Boom, and classic too...
    Agreed. Ethernet gives much better results. You may need to buy a ethernet over mains kit for this depending on the location of your router.

Geoff

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive got a pi with battery and laptop. i prefer the laptop, and rarely use the pi these days, but there isnt much in it imv sonically.. go with what your comfortable with
    Grant knows me....the computer sides of audio just aint my bag-the lap top/usb suits me fine....just wondered!

Greatly appreciate the contributions folks-just too far out my comfort zone!!

If my good lady cant turn on the hi fi and play tunes when im out at work without a lengthy telephone call then it aint happening.

Thanks folks...

I'm Mike.

I have two you could try, one is a Pi with Allo.com Boss DAC with rca out, and I also have an Allo.com Sparky with Piano 2.1 DAC and Kali Reclocker ( broken RCA on one output needs fixing ).

I'm pretty sure the Pi/Boss DAC combo is as good if not better than the TQ DAC, if I remember right

I could have that all set up ready to run for you to plug in and play with only the drive with your files needing to be linked to it.

Let me know.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    In short: the USB output on the Pi is notoriously flaky. A laptop is probably much better for audio applications.
    This is my experience too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast