+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: lap top v raspberry pi

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am pretty tech savvy when it comes to PCs. I am embarrassed to admit it but as part of my Economics degree I did a course which was based on Algol 68R. Don't ask. However, I would not know a single line of Linux code or even that it was Linux. I have set up my RPI systems by following clear step by step instructions and by trial and error (i.e. switching between different menu options to get the desired results. Frankly, I am surprised that so many users on this forum seem to consider this a challenge. Frankly, I found it harder to set up the proper arm/cartridge geometry on my turntable and a lot more fiddly.
    My mother worked for many years as a computer engineer for the Soviet space program, and yet she is absolutely clueless when it comes to using modern PCs and smartphones. She once started texting me some very weird messages — as it turned out, she mistook the messaging app for the Google search prompt I can imagine many people would feel absolutely intimidated by the Pi.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I think those of us who consider tinkering with computers enjoyable and feel very comfortable doing it, forget that actually if it's something you aren't comfortable with, it's not as easy as we think it is.

I used to use Linux all the time, I'm rusty now and to be honest I can't be arsed. I just want to play music these days.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

Ive got all 3. Cca rpi & lap. Rpi is good but still needs a bit more knowledge. Cca is easy but not quite as good or pretty. Prefer laptop but only because it suits
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

I worked with PC’s and computers for many years, and was known as the man who could fix anything. Be it PC’s or printers or networks or servers, I’ve worked with them all. And now that I’m retired from all that, I think is the reason I don’t like to tinker with computers. Enough already.

Russell

I'm Gary.

Mention "Twonky Server" to Tony and he'd go Benny Bongo!
    Nowt wrong with wanting a "black box" that plays music, its where Im coming from nowadays.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I know you have said on a budget Tony, but I also noticed you said your wife needs to be able to use it when you're out. That to me makes it a slightly different matter, you need something easy for you both, but clearly want it to perform well.

Just a thought - if you are Apple users and have an iPhone or iPad, have you considered the Aurelic Aries Mini? The Lightning DS controller app is only Apple unfortunately (no Android app) and you can upgrade the power supply later to say an Audiophonics and it takes a HDD inside for music, up to around 4,000 RedBook albums should fit on a 2TB drive. So it's all rather simple, but sonically impressive and easy to use for you both?

Of course if you don't use Apple, it's not really a good idea due to the added cost. But it would be a simple solution, with a user interface most people would be happy with.

I'm tony.

Thanks again everyone.

Both Grant and Gary know me...im just not computer orientated.

Reading this thread is gobldy gook to me.

The lap top is the simplest solution for me-its nice and quiet electrically and is really straight forward to use.

I had a squeeze box that drove me round the bend but really opened my eyes to the benefit of digital.

Sold my Naim CD player and never looked back.

I just want to play music as does my good lady.

Its bad enough explaining to her the switch on sequence of the amps-a pi would be divorce territory!!!

I'm Mike.

Pi stays on 24/7

I'm Grant.

my pi stays off 24/7
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

If you didn't mind using Roon Tony and want a very simple Raspberry Pi option, this is really easy.

You need a Pi, a HiFiBerry board and Roon - download the software, load onto a microSD, plug the Pi into your amp and network and load Roon. I reckon if you can handle using a laptop, you could do this. No need for any Linux command lines, it's built into Roon.

https://www.hifiberry.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast